• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrchewy77

I live in Brooklyn, NY and I live in a two family house for eleven years and I pay my rent on time and I never had a lease. Part of the ceiling in my bedroom fell down(10/31/00) and the landlord said that I couldn't stay in the bedroom because the ceiling is buckling. I had to move some of my furniture into another room which is where I study and can't now and then the rest of the furniture I had to move into my living room. I now sleep on the couch in the family room. I took $150.00 off the rent and I stated this in a letter with the remaining balance in the rent check for December. The landlord cashed the check and give me a two page letter telling me to pay the $150.00 by December 15th and that I have 30 days to vacate the premises.I went to court to have an inspector come and look at the apartment.On December 5th my landlord decide to fix the ceiling but I still have the court action pending. What are my rights? Can they ask me to pay the remaining balance and also tell me to leave in 30 days? Thank you for your help.

HomeGuru

Pay the remaining balance so when you go to court you say "not guilty" and request that the case be dismissed. If L still asks you to leave request that the court rule that this is a retaliation eviction and order L to let you remain.

J

jrchewy77

Landlord/Tenant

Good Morning,

Yes, Mr. Mevorach I would like to talk to you regarding this matter. I may be reach at 212-210-4422 or 4246. Or email me your telephone number.

Thank you for your response.

[Edited by jrchewy77 on 12-11-2000 at 09:04 AM]

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

My phone number, (516) 295-7655, is listed on my website (WWW.MEVORACH.COM)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">