• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlords hounding me 4 deceased sister's rent!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

looking4law

What is the name of your state?Iowa
My sister died suddenly 3 weeks ago. She did not have a will, no children, no spouse, no real estate, assets valued less than $2,000. She did leave me and one other sister as primary beneficiaries of her life insurance.
The landlords of her apt say that she signed a lease for 6 mos and still owes 3 mos rent. They not only want us to pay for those month's rent, but to reimburse them for having changed the lock on the building's exterior door after my sister died (they didn't know who she might have given a key to). Do we have to pay for these things? If we pay her 3 mos rent, can they turn around and rent out her apt and get double rent?? What does the law say about this?

anteater

This would be more appropriate in the Probate forum. But......

Assuming you and/or others are not running off with those $2,000 worth of assets that could possibly be sold to pay off any of your deceased sister's legitimate creditors, tell the landlords to go bite rocks. It is not your obligation and not your problem. Tell them that they are quite welcome to open an intestate probate and apply to become executor(s) to try to recover what they can. If they persist in hounding you, threaten them with a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">