• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord's Negligence to Health and Safety Concerns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nchu56

What is the name of your state? Texas

On 09/07/2018 I reported mold possibly being in the AC with the apartment complex (not fixed still nor checked on. Just the AC filter changed)

On 10/07/2018
  • I reported mold issue again. Possibly in the AC and for sure on the sliding window to the patio
  • I reported noise complaint about a neighbor of mine letting her kids run around the breezeway pounding on the wall making beats. (initially asking my neighbor to stop her kids from beating the wall. Her response was "how do you keep children quiet?")
  • I reported safety concern regarding the broken fences in the complex. There are plenty of times drunk men (or not drunk just random people) walking through the hole in the fence and wonder around the apartment complex. Encountered three different incidents where the random men passed out/sleeping by the broken fences inside the complex
  • I reported safety concern regarding the broken gates. Both of the gates to the entrance of my apartment are broken and left open 80% of the time
  • I reported personal property being damaged. My car was keyed
On 10/08/2018
  • I received a note on my car says "you better watch it". Police report was made. Apartment was informed
On 11/05/2018
  • A guy knocked on my door at 7:00 P.M. said he was with Frontier Communication (my complex is contracted with Frontier Communication). I opened the door then he tried to force his way into my apartment, I managed to shut the door and close it before he entered. Later on news, he was reported as a serial rapist on loose in my area. Police was called and apartment was informed
On 11/07/2018
  • A pest control guy knocked on my door at 11:00 A.M. asking to come in. I did not received any prior notice that pest control was going to come to my apartment. Due to previous experience on 11/05/2018 I refused to let the pest control enter, especially I was uninformed and did not request pest control
  • At 2:00 P.M. A guy knocked on my door was not wearing any uniform or ID, did not disclose who he was, was trying to enter my apartment, said he was sent by the leasing office to check "window leak" and would not disclose any further information other than "I am here for window leak". I refused his entrance and called the leasing office. I was told "he was there to check the window leak for mold and I don't know if he's coming back since you already turn him away." No prior notice either

I am a young woman living by herself. I am extremely concerned for my safety and health. What can I do? It's been two months since I reported the mold issue and a month since I reported safety concerns. It seems like my apartment complex is manipulating/using the situation(the attempt to force entry from 11/05/2018) for their own advantage by sending two random guys (no uniform, no prior notice) to my door knowing that I am not going to let them come therefore they don't have to fix anything in my apartment. There are three regular maintenance guys in my complex, they always wear uniforms and very friendly. But both the pest control or the "window leak" guys weren't wearing any sort of uniform or showing IDs. My safety is on the line... I just don't know what to do. Please help. Let me know if there's any other information I need to provide in this post.

nchu56

Firearms are very popular home protection devices in Texas. Get some training.

You might want to consider moving.
I am not allowed to possess firearm since I am not a U.S. citizen. My lease does not end till next October, is there anything I can do to properly break the lease?

adjusterjack

I am not allowed to possess firearm since I am not a U.S. citizen.
That might not be correct.

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32]
However, I don't think that applies if you are a lawful permanent resident (green card).

Bears checking further.

quincy

I am not allowed to possess firearm since I am not a U.S. citizen. My lease does not end till next October, is there anything I can do to properly break the lease?
Your lease ends next October? How long is your lease?

quincy

Yes. I signed the lease renewal in August before I found out about the mold.
Thank you for answering my question.

So, you lived in the apartment for a year with no mold or safety issues? What do you think has changed? Has there been a change in management?

nchu56

Was the renewal done before you found out about all the other issues as well?
Yes. The only other time I had any issue was about a year and half ago a neighbor of mine was intoxicated and was chasing me through the parking lot while shouting "I am gonna get you!!", it was properly taken care of by the apartment complex, but the property manager was a different person at the time.

nchu56

Thank you for answering my question.

So, you lived in the apartment for a year with no mold or safety issues? What do you think has changed? Has there been a change in management?
There has been a new property manager. The rain came down really hard this year, the mold has only been recent.

And no, I should be the one thanking you for taking the time to review my problems and taking interest in helping.

FarmerJ

You are free to learn how to self defend your self and that includes insist on being taught how to do a Arm bar or how to grab and spin their arm and break it , your free to learn how to use your heels to injure some ones foot enough to let you get away , your free to learn how to break free from bear hugs , or someone who grabs you by your hair. You are free to learn how to use common household items as weapons and that includes things like aerosols . bleach spray salt , the list goes on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">