• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord's rights??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

archeanut

What is the name of your state? VA

I live in an apartment complex in VA. Recently, our management company has been changing some of their policies. Can anyone tell me if the landlord has the right to require that all tenants have a drivers license with the apartment listed as their address? I understand that state law requires you to update your address with the DMV when you move, but can the apartment complex enforce that as one of their policies?

Also, if your lease promises you "quiet enjoyment," at what point can you legally break the lease if you have very loud neighbors and a resident service desk that does nothing about it?

BL

archeanut said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I live in an apartment complex in VA. Recently, our management company has been changing some of their policies. Can anyone tell me if the landlord has the right to require that all tenants have a drivers license with the apartment listed as their address? I understand that state law requires you to update your address with the DMV when you move, but can the apartment complex enforce that as one of their policies?

Also, if your lease promises you "quiet enjoyment," at what point can you legally break the lease if you have very loud neighbors and a resident service desk that does nothing about it?
Yes , they can require you to have a Valid License , for their records .

You call the police for LOUD noise .

You send the LL/management a Certified return receipt requested letter, outlining the Loud noise , when it occurs , how Often it Occurs , how many times you have call the Police to complain about it , and DEMAND your Rights to Peace ,quiet, and enjoyment for the premises you pay rent for .

If they keep ignoring you , tape record the Loud noise,etc. get proof , witnesses , Etc , and consult a Landlord /tenant Attorney .

Last edited:

fairlight

Funny that you should mention loud neighbors. Mine woke me at 2:25 a.m.

"Resident service desk" is a great title, but the title you should have been contacting about the noise is "landlord." You should have been documenting the noise, i.e., dates, times and the nature of the noise. It would help if your neighbors had also complained or you had filed a police report.

In my state, people have to have either a drivers license or a California i.d. card, each of which has the holder's address on it. I don't drive; therefore, I have the card. My landlord asked for that number (or my drivers license number) when I moved in. What does your landlord expect a tenant to do if they don't have a license? I would say present identification with the complete apartment address on it.

fairlight

And no, I don't think you can break your lease if you haven't made the landlord aware of the problem or you can't prove that he knew and took no action (especially if you discover that other tenants have complained). Even then it might be iffy if you have city ordinances defining how loud a sound has to be to be considered noise. Frequency of noise may also be considered an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">