• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlords who hire Property Managers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Knp007

I'm renting a home and my lease will be up soon.
My landlord has informed me verbally that she's hired a property manager and when it's time to renew my lease I will have to sign a lease with him. I'm confused about this situation because I've never dealt with a property manager before. My question is: Why do I have to sign a lease with him if he's not the owner of the property? Please give me some advice on what the law states when dealing with this matter. I live in Michigan. Thanks in advance for all the help.

[Edited by Knp007 on 12-28-2000 at 06:04 PM]

HomeGuru

THe owner has signed a property management agreement with the management company and therefore the management company has authorization to act as the owner. If you have questions, you should talk to the management company. The company has a duty to notify you in writing that they are taking over the management of your property and the dispositon of your security deposit.

K

Knp007

I have not seen anything in writting about this.
She called me and said I would have to renew my lease with the person she hired as the property manager. There is no company. This is a personal friend of hers'. I just want to know my rights as a tenant regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Knp007 said:
I have not seen anything in writting about this.
She called me and said I would have to renew my lease with the person she hired as the property manager. There is no company. This is a personal friend of hers'. I just want to know my rights as a tenant regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance.
HomeGuru response: my response stands regardless if there is a company or one person managing the property.
Ask for something in writing. You have a right to ask the manager and/or the owner to confirm in writing that he/she has a contract to manage the property and also who will have safekeep your security deposit: the manager or the property owner.

HomeGuru

Knp007 said:
Who do I sign a lease with, landlord or property manager?
HomeGuru response: read my previous post and figure it out. Then post your answer and I will tell ya if you are right or wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">