• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landscaper Broke property - Caught on Camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I recently purchased a home and just hired a landscaper for Spring Cleaning (there was no contract other than agreeing on price in a text message). I have a security camera and I caught them breaking a section of my retaining wall. Do I have any kind of case in making sure they repair the damage? I am located in NJ if that makes a difference.

Hi Zigner,

This literally happened today - I am still at work but I did message them when it happened (I am a firm believer of having things in writing) - they have yet to respond.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They should repair the damage they caused. Give them some time to respond.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
would i be right to not pay them until the damage is repaired?
My suggestion is to slow down. You should get a quote for repair before anything else. I would personally withhold payment, but then again, it JUST happened, so that may be a moot question because it's possible that the damage will be taken care of before that even comes up.

adjusterjack

Hi Zigner,

This literally happened today - I am still at work but I did message them when it happened (I am a firm believer of having things in writing) - they have yet to respond.
They are probably out on jobs and don't respond to calls during the day.

Got a call back from them - they apologized and asked for the company that did my retaining wall. Will check with them later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">