• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lapse Life Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daddy'sgirl1

New Jersey

My deceased grandmother left 3 polices in 1993 which were supposed to be left to me. They were on me, my dad, and mom. She had these policies since I was one. I was born in 1975. It was brought to my attention recently that the policy on my mother lapsed because my vindictive stepmother didn't pay it. She persuaded my father to cash in his policy when she (she handles all the money matters) let all three policies lapse in 1997. I was sent a notice to sign in which they sent me a mere $267 on a $1,000 policy (some where around that amount). Understand there was an ugly fight between my father and the reminder of the family who wanted to continue to keep the policies for me but my father and stepmother won. I was concerned about my mother's policy which they wouldn't give to me. Stating my mother didn't pay a dime on the policy and didn't deserve to get the money. About 6 months ago my stepmother again calls and says the policy on mother lapse and did I want to take over the policy. I agreed and still to this day I cannot get any information on this policy. All I know is that it was through American general. This policy was 24-25 years old wasn't there money vested? If so what can I do to find out. My main concern is did she forge my mom's signature and get the benefit for herself. Where should I start digging?

ALawyer

American General is a reasonably okay company so write to it. It is based in Houston, TX and there are a whole bunch of companies that are a part of the American General group. Give as much info as you can -- name of insured, policy number if possible, etc.

When you say you were "supposed to" get the policies I am lost. Did she leave them to you or gift them or what? Supposed to does not count at law -- it's what was done.

And finally, if these 3 policies were all $1000 face amount, they are not worth al that much as the cost of collecting premium makes them a BAD RIP-OFF. If everybody is healthy a NEW policy would likely cost less for more coverage, even after 20 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">