• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Larceny at the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amaldonado

What is the name of your state? MA
I had a personal purchase delivery delivered to my workplace. It was received and signed for by a staff person. It was then stolen from the area of delivery.
The item was a LCD computer monitor worth $476.00
The CFO states that the insurance is $1000 deductible and they will not submit the claim. There has been no personnel policy to date re: receiving personal mail or packages. (They issued one today).
Do I have any recourse in this claim?
HP states they are not liable, my credit card does not ccover theft of purchased items (they say). What can I do?

Dandy Don

Do you have a copy of the receipt showing who signed for it?

Send a letter to the CFO asking them to file the claim with the insurance company and if they won't do it, that you will have no other recourse except to file a claim against the company in small claims court, and your receipt is major evidence in helping you win your case.

JETX

And of course, the 'advice' by Dandy Dunce is useless. Your employer has NO obligation to you or to protect your delivery.

Simply, when you ordered them to deliver to someone elses address (even your employer), you still have the responsibility once the delivery is made. This is no different than instructing the shipper to deliver to your front porch.

Your ONLY options are with the shipper (unlikely), your credit card company OR your own homeowners policy (some may cover).

HomeGuru

amaldonado said:
What is the name of your state? MA
I had a personal purchase delivery delivered to my workplace.

**A: that was your first mistake. An employer should not be held liable for personal deliveries.

Dandy Don

JETX, your reputation for mean responses continues. SO WHAT if there is no obligation by the employer (only according to you)--if that was true then they had no business signing to accept it. At least with my advice she has the option of recovering her money.

HomeGuru

Dandy Don said:
Do you have a copy of the receipt showing who signed for it?

Send a letter to the CFO asking them to file the claim with the insurance company and if they won't do it, that you will have no other recourse except to file a claim against the company in small claims court, and your receipt is major evidence in helping you win your case.
**A: Dandy Dunce, how lame can you be? If the insurance company's deductible is $1000, why would they file a claim for a loss in an amount lower than the deductible? Next, you are advising the employee to file a lawsuit against his employer over a $476 item?

JETX

Dandy Don said:
JETX, your reputation for mean responses continues.
If your interpretation of 'mean' is that I give legally accurate responses and, therefore, repeatedly have to show that your posts are incorrect and/or inane, I agree.

SO WHAT if there is no obligation by the employer (only according to you)--if that was true then they had no business signing to accept it.
I agree. In fact, my employees have strict rules to NEVER sign for any package addressed to someone else. There have been too many scams out there where 'vendors' have shipped used, broken or (more likely, never ordered) crap then later sent a large invoice with 'signature proof of delivery'.
And any employee who just 'assumed' that they can use my address as their personal delivery point (and then further assume I am liable) would quickly find that they were being given the opportunity to 'test the job market'.

At least with my advice she has the option of recovering her money.
Nope. With your INCORRECT advice, the employee has a good chance of being unemployed.... and out the value of the 'lost' package.

Dandy Don

Home Guru, YOU are the one who is lame. Small claims court is there exactly for the purpose of collecting on smaller amounts due.

HomeGuru

Dandy Don said:
Home Guru, YOU are the one who is lame. Small claims court is there exactly for the purpose of collecting on smaller amounts due.
**A: oh brother, you are really a Dandy Dunce.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
And of course, the 'purpose' of the small claims court system has absolutely NOTHING to do with thread.

Nor does it justify your ERRONEOUS post where you said: "Send a letter to the CFO asking them to file the claim with the insurance company and if they won't do it, that you will have no other recourse except to file a claim against the company in small claims court, and your receipt is major evidence in helping you win your case."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">