• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CooperJ1976

What is the name of your state? michian
I am currently incarcerated for 2 months with 4 to go. I have received court papers involving the last name change of my two daughters. We were never married although my last name was given at birth to both. Does she have a legal right to do this without my consent?

M

momofthreeinKY

have you provided any support to the children or had any visitation? Also you can always contest it but it will depend on your previous contact with them and how you have behaved towards them

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She can file anything she wants. It will be up to the judge whether s/he will permit the name change. You should likely respond to the motion.

M

momofthreeinKY

Which comes into the fact of previous contact taken into consideration and how often contact has occured. Anything can be filed, but they look at your background first

leech

You said you were incarcerated? Is she trying to add her name and keep yours too?

My boyfriends daughters mother took him to court for a name change, She claimed it was in the best interest of the child. She won and they carry both their last names. More than likely she will win. Not sure if you can appeal it, but you can appeal anything nowadays. Good Luck.

leech

Sure - they even have online dating sites.

Hahahah, riiiight. Maybe this is a stupid question...but do they really have access to computers? OMG.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
leech said:
Sure - they even have online dating sites.

Hahahah, riiiight. Maybe this is a stupid question...but do they really have access to computers? OMG.
They really do. Susan Smith (remember her?) had an ad up online.

leech

Oh yes....i vaguely remember, I was fifteen but I do remember now. But I remember it not being her boyfriend...just a man of whom she fancied but he couldnt deal with her children. So sad. Crazy Lady.

kel4377

I still just can't believe they have computers!!!! What is this world coming to? It's nice that we have to go out and buy ours, spend $600-$2000 for one and they get one free!

leech

kel4377 said:
I still just can't believe they have computers!!!! What is this world coming to? It's nice that we have to go out and buy ours, spend $600-$2000 for one and they get one free!
I hear ya. This doesnt make sense to me either for the simple fact that it allows them to communicate to the outside world. You would think they wouldnt want that?!

Hmmmm I wonder if thats how Richard Ramirez found his idiot wife.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">