• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WVillan

What is the name of your state? California

First off let me start by saying this is a great forum!!
I was let go on tuesday of this week. And against the law here I was not given my final paycheck the day of. I went in to the office today and again was told I could not have it yet as there are no funds available in the payroll account. (per my HR director) They have had no problem giving rubber payroll checks up until today. They are purposley not handing out final checks to the people whom were laid off this week because they need to ensure the "replacement" checks from the last pay period clear. Which I understand them trying to catch up w/ payroll. But I feel I am going to get "hosed" on this last check. Rumor is the company is weeks away from closing their doors and I just want to make sure I can atleast obtain my last check. Can someone please help. Thanks.

H

hexeliebe

If you fear they are 'weeks away from closing their doors' and you are not going to be getting a final check then you need to see an attorney.

Not only will you know for sure that what they have done is illegal, but you can file suit against the company and if they close their doors, be listed as a creditor in the event they go bankrupt.

Other than that, there's not much else you can do except notify your state department of labor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">