• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

late answer, now judgement entered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

namotco

Wisconsin

I was sent a letter about 10 days ago that I must answer to the small claims court by the 13th. The letter was dated June 18th, but not sent until June 25th and I did not recieve it until July 1. I did not answer by the 13th (because I was still seeking advice), and they have now entered a judgement and want $15,000 within 15 days. What do I do now?

Ladynred

You should not have delayed. Now they can do whatever is allowed to get the money from you - garnish wages, levy bank accounts, and sieze non-exempt assets. Most people can't come up with that kind of money in 15 days, so its time to call the attorney and start negotiating payments.

Happy Trails

Are you sure it was small claims court, if so are you sure it is 15,000 and not 1,500

READ BELOW

Wisconsin Small Claims

By Sherrie Bennett

Sometimes the cost of hiring a lawyer totals more than the money you’re owed. Small claims court can be a quick and inexpensive way to collect on your own. The court procedures are informal, not intimidating. And a judge, instead of a jury, usually decides the case.

Who Can Sue and Be Sued?
Any individual, business or corporation may bring a small claims suit for the recovery of money when the amount requested is $5,000 or less. If the amount you’re owed is $7,500, for example, you may want to cut your loses and go after only $5,000 of it so that you can sue in small claims court. Attorneys are allowed, but not required.

Where Do I File a Small Claims Case?
You file a small claims case in the Circuit Court in the county where the party you’re suing (the “defendant”) lives or, in the case of a traffic accident, in the county where the accident occurred. If your case involves a landlord-tenant dispute, you can bring the case where the home or apartment is located. The clerk of the court should be able to determine whether the address is within the boundaries of that court.

Dispute Resolution Services
Before filing a small claims case, the parties are encouraged to try to resolve their differences. Free or low-cost services may be available through the court or local legal clinics. For more information, contact your local court.

How Much Does It Cost?
You must pay a filing fee of $59. You also may have to pay to have the court, the sheriff’s office or a local process server deliver notice of your claim to the defendant. At the time you file the claim, the clerk of the court can tell you what service options are available.

What Happens at Trial?
The trial in small claims court is between you and the defendant. Both parties must prepare their cases and bring those witnesses or other evidence (such as documents, records, photographs or drawings) to court to support their claims or defenses. Witnesses must have personal knowledge of the facts in their testimonies. Documents, records, photographs and drawings must be identified and explained by someone with personal knowledge of them.

If the defendant does not appear at trial, you may be granted a “default” judgment for the amount of your claim, plus your filing and service costs. If you fail to appear at trial, the judge will dismiss your claim.

How Do I Collect the Judgment?
If the court enters a judgment against either party, it is that party’s duty to pay without delay. The small claims court does not collect the judgment for you. The judge may order the person owing the money to fill out a financial disclosure form and mail or deliver it to you or the clerk of the court within 15 days after the judgment is entered with the court. It would require the debtor to list employers, banks, property owned, vehicles and other assets. If the judgment is not paid within 15 days, and there is no appeal filed, you can start trying to collect the judgment by garnishing wages or bank accounts, or trying to locate the personal property of the person who owes the judgment.

How Do I Appeal a Judgment Against Me?
Any appeal must be filed with the Court of Appeals. Detailed instructions for filing a small claims appeal are available from the clerk of the court. There is an appeal fee of $150, plus a $15 record transmittal fee.

***HOPE THIS HELPS

N

namotco

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. If you ever have a computer consulting question please feel free to contact me:
[email protected]

I really appreciate your time!

Ryan

N

namotco

$15,764.32 or somthing. (of which I rightfully owe about $3500...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">