• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law firm changes my deposition lawyer 2 days before

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stafford

What is the name of your state? PA I fell and broke my foot in a parking lot 3 years ago. I'm being represented by a law firm that changed my lawyer without notice 2 years ago. I have worked with this lawyer for 2 years, she knows my case inside out (and has already dealt with the opposition which will also be deposed tomorrow), and I feel comfortable with her. The deposition is scheduled for tomorrow - my attorney contacted me 2 days ago to inform me that a different attorney, whom I've never even spoken with, will be "briefed about my case" over the weekend and will be present at the depositions instead of my actual attorney! I do not believe this is in my best interests - do I have any recourse?

Last edited:

Litigator22

Your concerns here are well taken. Lawsuits are seldom won as the result of discovery depositions, but they sure as heck can be severely damaged or lost due to the ineptitude, inexperience of the proponent's unenlightened lawyer and the failure of the lawyer to properly prepare the client.

I would have you make a demand on the firm that not depositions be conducted without the presence of the attorney with whom you have worked with who is familiar with the action and with whom you have confidence.

If it means rescheduling the depo because of a time conflict, then insist on it. These things aren't set in stone!

justalayman

Your concerns here are well taken. Lawsuits are seldom won as the result of discovery depositions, but they sure as heck can be severely damaged or lost due to the ineptitude, inexperience of the proponent's unenlightened lawyer and the failure of the lawyer to properly prepare the client.

I would have you make a demand on the firm that not depositions be conducted without the presence of the attorney with whom you have worked with who is familiar with the action and with whom you have confidence.

If it means rescheduling the depo because of a time conflict, then insist on it. These things aren't set in stone!
While I don’t disagree in principle, I hesitate being so demanding as you suggest without knowing more of the situation. We have no idea what has transpired prior to this time so calling off the deposition without more info may cause more problems than it solves

Op really needs to speak with their attorney of record

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">