• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law offices of Paul Stassinos won't leave me alone!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

butterfly5169

:mad: What is the name of your state?California

Please help, this "Law Office" keeps calling me and telling me that they won't accept payment arrangements on my debts I have. The total is now up to 1200.00, and I am unemployed and cannot pay that right away. I have researched this "lawyer" and see that it is a collection agency. I am now being told that they are going to file a lawsuit against me, which I guess they can do....my problem is this....the debts are from bounced checks because I went through a divorce and my husband cleaned out the account. So, can they send me to jail? This has been going on for months, and I have tried to make payment arrangements, which I am told they will not accept. Woiuldn't they have filed charged against me by now? Or sent me to the DA Bad check program? I am really afraid...so anyone, please help!!!!!

JETX

butterfly5169 said:
So, can they send me to jail?
They (the collection agency) can't, but there could be a criminal claim due to the bad checks themselves.

This has been going on for months, and I have tried to make payment arrangements, which I am told they will not accept.
There is no obligation for them to even negotiate with you... much less on your terms.

Woiuldn't they have filed charged against me by now? Or sent me to the DA Bad check program?
Sorry, though we are DAMN talented, we can't predict what, or why, someone else might do.

I am really afraid...so anyone, please help!!!!!
Afraid of what??
Criminal charges? Pay the merchant(s) on their demand and the criminal aspect will likely resolve itself.
Civil charges? The damaged 'victim' has the legal right to demand compensation for the damages they have suffered due to YOUR conduct.

butterfly5169

California

I am not saying I don't owe the debt. Unfortunately, I have called the merchants direct, and they tell me to call the law office. I understand the criminal side of it, I am trying to pay this off...it wasn't my misconduct, it was an angry ex husband taking all of the money and checks bounced. After seeing the bounced checks, I called each and every merchant and atarted paying them money, but these other merchants had already forwarded the debt to this law office. Doesn't a creditor have to take some sort of payment? And I know I am liable for 3 times the amount of the check, but shouldn't they give me some sort of bill?

JETX

butterfly5169 said:
it wasn't my misconduct, it was an angry ex husband taking all of the money and checks bounced.
Sorry, spin it all you want... it is YOUR obligation to make sure you have funds in the bank before you write checks on them...

Doesn't a creditor have to take some sort of payment?
Nope. There is NO obligation for them to settle for anything less than they are legally entitled to. The 'rumor' that any payment (even the smallest) somehow is an 'out of jail free' card (pun intended) is just that.... a rumor.

And I know I am liable for 3 times the amount of the check, but shouldn't they give me some sort of bill?
Why?? You know you owe the debt. You already know how much. Presumably, they have contacted you about it. Of course, you are within your rights to request that they forward their demand to you in writing... and in fact most (all?) states require you to be noticed prior to their initiating legal action. Are you saying you have NEVER received a WRITTEN 'demand for payment'?
If so, then you need to read: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/k-5.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">