• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kikiana3

What is the name of your state? Washington

I got served with a lawsuit for debt collections today. We are currently trying to pay off debts so we can buy a house and it was my plan to use my tax return to pay this debt as well as pay off my credit card. Tax return had been filed but won’t be received for another month. Now what do I do? Is there a way to just pay the debt still or do I actually have to go through filing paperwork with the court?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Washington

I got served with a lawsuit for debt collections today. We are currently trying to pay off debts so we can buy a house and it was my plan to use my tax return to pay this debt as well as pay off my credit card. Tax return had been filed but won’t be received for another month. Now what do I do? Is there a way to just pay the debt still or do I actually have to go through filing paperwork with the court?
You will have to answer the complaint. If you don't answer in a timely fashion, a default judgment can be entered against you.

You should have time before the court hearing to discuss a settlement with the collection agency.

Kikiana3

So if I reply and claim it true can I just pay them? The papers don’t say to appear in court. Will I have to go to court if I claim it true and agree to pay?

quincy

So if I reply and claim it true can I just pay them? The papers don’t say to appear in court. Will I have to go to court if I claim it true and agree to pay?
You should file an answer to the complaint first - and then you can contact the collection agency. If you pay off what you owe, make sure the collector withdraws the suit against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">