• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer gives up because I wouldn't take bad deal! Making my life harder now...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Personal injury lawyer doesn't want to represent me because I didn't take a bad deal, and won't surrender case because they want to bill me with a super inflated fee charge!(17,000) This case is 4 years in, about to got to trail and the opposing council drained the 100k dollar depleting insurance policy bone dry! They really didn't do much on either side depositions and 2 other very short meetings with no give on either side. My medical bills where 32,500 that's all I really asked for, but they spent 100k fighting it and never made it to court. Now the Bar needs to find new Lawyers out of pocket and my lawyers are pissed I didn't settle for 50k with them taking 40% contingency fee + 17k office work fee, they even came down on the fee a little but I would still be way in the hole. Only 12k for my medical bills. The case got stalled for awhile because someone involved was out of country for awhile. After all our meetings it was 7k in office fees then like a year of waiting or so they racked up 10k in charges somehow!!! Nothing was even done then discovery and litigation was over! I asked how we can proceed to surrender case but he refused. He wants me to fire him, and won't cooperate because I didn't take that final offer of 50k(which apparently was the peoples money not the insurance) He says if it goes to court all I will get is a judgment and all I can do with that is "hang it on my wall". I believe this judgment will one day be paid and I have video evidence I found later on to win my case which is usuable. What should I do? I don't want to fire my attorney I want him to work with me honorably or abandon my case and I can pay cash for someone else because contingency is out of the question if there is no insurance money. Is it bad faith for a third party(me) the insurance company didn't pay out and paid the lawyers the max policy? Is that ethnically acceptable or can I report them to the BAR association? And what should I do about my Lawyers? Is this just how the legal system in Florida because this has been one big JOKE both sides have been unfaithful and unethical

quincy

Personal injury lawyer doesn't want to represent me because I didn't take a bad deal, and won't surrender case because they want to bill me with a super inflated fee charge!(17,000) This case is 4 years in, about to got to trail and the opposing council drained the 100k dollar depleting insurance policy bone dry! They really didn't do much on either side depositions and 2 other very short meetings with no give on either side. My medical bills where 32,500 that's all I really asked for, but they spent 100k fighting it and never made it to court. Now the Bar needs to find new Lawyers out of pocket and my lawyers are pissed I didn't settle for 50k with them taking 40% contingency fee + 17k office work fee, they even came down on the fee a little but I would still be way in the hole. Only 12k for my medical bills. The case got stalled for awhile because someone involved was out of country for awhile. After all our meetings it was 7k in office fees then like a year of waiting or so they racked up 10k in charges somehow!!! Nothing was even done then discovery and litigation was over! I asked how we can proceed to surrender case but he refused. He wants me to fire him, and won't cooperate because I didn't take that final offer of 50k(which apparently was the peoples money not the insurance) He says if it goes to court all I will get is a judgment and all I can do with that is "hang it on my wall". I believe this judgment will one day be paid and I have video evidence I found later on to win my case which is usuable. What should I do? I don't want to fire my attorney I want him to work with me honorably or abandon my case and I can pay cash for someone else because contingency is out of the question if there is no insurance money. Is it bad faith for a third party(me) the insurance company didn't pay out and paid the lawyers the max policy? Is that ethnically acceptable or can I report them to the BAR association? And what should I do about my Lawyers? Is this just how the legal system in Florida because this has been one big JOKE both sides have been unfaithful and unethical
Is it possible that you are being unrealistic about the amount you should receive?

Is it possible that you are being unrealistic about the amount you should receive?
I don't know is asking to be made whole asking too much in this situation? I got hit in the face with with a weapon and jumped by 5 people because I called the bouncer a douch bag, they told the cops I attacked people in the Bar so the cops said to "just leave me in the bushes to die". I found a video of the event a month later proving I didn't attack anyone and just mouthed off to the bouncer. I needed 2 plates and 10 screws. Apparently my eye socket was like a puzzle thrown on the floor they had to just wing it kinda back together. I think 80k is where I started and worked down, there only counter offer was 5k.

quincy

I don't know what to tell you. Your attorney apparently believed that $50,000 was the best offer you were likely to get and that going to trial is not a good idea.

I suggest you review all facts with another personal injury attorney.

You might find it difficult to find another attorney to actually take on the case at this late stage, but you should be able to find one to review it and offer an opinion.

I don't know is asking to be made whole asking too much in this situation? I got hit in the face with with a weapon and jumped by 5 people because I called the bouncer a douch bag, they told the cops I attacked people in the Bar so the cops said to "just leave me in the bushes to die". I found a video of the event a month later proving I didn't attack anyone and just mouthed off to the bouncer. I needed 2 plates and 10 screws. Apparently my eye socket was like a puzzle thrown on the floor they had to just wing it kinda back together. I think 80k is where I started and worked down, there only counter offer was 5k.
2 bartenders a bounce an 2 friends beat me on the ground while the manager tried to tell them to stop for like 5 minutes all on video and audio because the phone fell

quincy

This happened 4 years ago?

The suit is against the 2 bartenders, the bouncer and 2 friends?

Were all 5 of your assailants arrested, charged and convicted?

I suggest you run all facts by a different attorney in your area to see what he thinks.

This happened 4 years ago?

The suit is against the 2 bartenders, the bouncer and 2 friends?

Were all 5 of your assailants arrested, charged and convicted?

I suggest you run all facts by a different attorney in your area to see what he thinks.
The cops wouldn't touch it because I found the video a month after, the ambulance said I refused medical attention and just called someone in my phone to pick me up. I don't remember anything after the accident until I woke up in the morning and went to the hospital.

How much should I expect to pay for someone to take the case? My girlfriend grew up in Florida and has some pull with lawyers she knows, have lawyer friends in the town this is happening in. We're going to talk next Friday. I guess I can just wait to hear what they say, I just want to know as much as possible about what I'm getting into. I never thought this would be so ridiculous, I only asked them to help pay some of the bills and they lawyered up, and accused me of ridiculous acts of violence. Then I found the video.

quincy

The video could be useful if this goes to trial. Without the video, it becomes your (drunken) word against 5 others, with the responding police unwilling to arrest the 5. And I think in that case you'd lose.

Have another attorney review everything. There might not be money or assets enough to make a judgment worth much if you were to win at trial - which is what it sounds like your current attorney is telling you - but another attorney might see it differently.

Four years can burn up a lot of attorney-dollars. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">