• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer in CA is taking more in fees than invoice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
CA

Hello,

Just joined this forum after settling my lemon law case. The lawyer took my case on contingency and charges a 10% fee on assets plus legal fees. It has just concluded and I got my settlement check in the mail a few days ago. On my settlement agreement, I was paid for a full refund of the vehicle plus $15000 in legal fees. The invoice for the legal fees was around $12500. When I contacted my lawyer, he said that $15000 was a “reasonable” amount of money spent on the case and that they could apply a multiplyer on my case to have legal fees equal $15000. What I am wondering is if it’s advisible to take them to small claims court to recover the money over the price of invoice for my case?

Thanks for reading.

quincy

What is the name of your state?
CA

Hello,

Just joined this forum after settling my lemon law case. The lawyer took my case on contingency and charges a 10% fee on assets plus legal fees. It has just concluded and I got my settlement check in the mail a few days ago. On my settlement agreement, I was paid for a full refund of the vehicle plus $15000 in legal fees. The invoice for the legal fees was around $12500. When I contacted my lawyer, he said that $15000 was a “reasonable” amount of money spent on the case and that they could apply a multiplyer on my case to have legal fees equal $15000. What I am wondering is if it’s advisible to take them to small claims court to recover the money over the price of invoice for my case?

Thanks for reading.
You want the extra $2500 from the $15,000? I think it fair to demand it of your attorney, if the attorney fees in your case only equal $12,500.

I suggest before thinking of suing, you ask your attorney to explain why he deserves more than his invoice shows he deserves.

LdiJ

You want the extra $2500 from the $15,000? I think it fair to demand it of your attorney, if the attorney fees in your case only equal $12,500.

I suggest before thinking of suing, you ask your attorney to explain why he deserves more than his invoice shows he deserves.
The state BAR Association should have a fee dispute section. I suggest talking to those people.

quincy

The state BAR Association should have a fee dispute section. I suggest talking to those people.
If nothing comes from a face-to-face meeting with the attorney, that could be the next step - although it would be through the local Bar Association (if there is one) rather than the State Bar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">