• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer lie on court papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpyL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I submitted a screen shot of a conversation to a lawyer regarding visitation. The following day he filed emergency relief of custody. On the court papers he quoted me saying "July 4th week" but the screen shot clearly says "july 4th weekend". on that same document there were 2-3 other issues that were like this or similar to this.

This has now lead me to having to retain a lawyer costing $3500, a court date to defend me taking the kids on spouse weekend but agreed I could have them in the screen shot text. As well as defending other ridiculous accusations. Like spouse thought she saw me drive by a gas station.

Ty

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I submitted a screen shot of a conversation to a lawyer regarding visitation. The following day he filed emergency relief of custody. On the court papers he quoted me saying "July 4th week" but the screen shot clearly says "july 4th weekend". on that same document there were 2-3 other issues that were like this or similar to this.

This has now lead me to having to retain a lawyer costing $3500, a court date to defend me taking the kids on spouse weekend but agreed I could have them in the screen shot text. As well as defending other ridiculous accusations. Like spouse thought she saw me drive by a gas station.

Ty
You might want to add this to your other thread. Thanks.

quincy

My net income thread?
I'm sorry, limpyL. Your other threads have nothing to do with what you are asking here. My mistake.

Are you saying that a transcription error by your attorney has resulted in a dispute with your ex over a previously agreed upon July 4 weekend visitation? I am not seeing why you have to hire another attorney for $5300.

Could you perhaps restate what your attorney did that led to the court hearing?

FlyingRon

You'd be well advised to moderate your tone in your communications with the other parties and the court. Just because the lawyer made an error (week vs. weekend is likely just that), doesn't make it a "lie."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd just like to point out that, without further definition, there was no "July 4th weekend" this year.

LdiJ

I'd just like to point out that, without further definition, there was no "July 4th weekend" this year.
That is somewhat subjective. Lots of companies closed for Monday as well which made it a long weekend for those employees.

Zigner

That is somewhat subjective. Lots of companies closed for Monday as well which made it a long weekend for those employees.
Did you miss the part that said "without further definition"? July 4th was NOT on a weekend. It may be considered a "July 4th weekend", depending on how it's defined in the court papers...

LdiJ

Did you miss the part that said "without further definition"? July 4th was NOT on a weekend. It may be considered a "July 4th weekend", depending on how it's defined in the court papers...
I still think its subjective. Yes, July 4th was not on a weekend, but what if it was on Monday or Friday? Would you still try to say that it was not "July 4th weekend"? That its not a holiday weekend because the holiday is not on Saturday or Sunday? Under that definition there would be no holiday weekend Memorial Day weekend or Labor day weekend or any other holiday weekend where its a Monday holiday. And what about Thanksgiving Day weekend? Thanksgiving is on a Thursday but everyone knows the weekend as Thanksgiving Day weekend.

Zigner

I still think its subjective. Yes, July 4th was not on a weekend, but what if it was on Monday or Friday? Would you still try to say that it was not "July 4th weekend"? That its not a holiday weekend because the holiday is not on Saturday or Sunday? Under that definition there would be no holiday weekend Memorial Day weekend or Labor day weekend or any other holiday weekend where its a Monday holiday. And what about Thanksgiving Day weekend? Thanksgiving is on a Thursday but everyone knows the weekend as Thanksgiving Day weekend.
Oy! I took that in to account ;)

quincy

The way the attorney wrote it (using July 4 week as opposed to July 4 weekend) is correct because there was no July 4 weekend, as Zigner pointed out. Although one might assume the weekend prior to the holiday was the visitation period under discussion, I think if exes are prone to battling the smallest of matters, the actual dates should have been used.

HRZ

Ismuse the best dare

THe other parent is entitled to play hardball and take advantage of the legal rules ....if you want decent odds f a level playing field as to your views or agreement holding up then the best suggestion I can make is use the best darn attorney you can find and let him or her call the legal shots....yes, attorney may have a hefty bill.

quincy

THe other parent is entitled to play hardball and take advantage of the legal rules ....if you want decent odds f a level playing field as to your views or agreement holding up then the best suggestion I can make is use the best darn attorney you can find and let him or her call the legal shots....yes, attorney may have a hefty bill.
"Ismuse the best dare." What does that mean?

limpyL has another thread in progress that is informative. There are concerns that go beyond a July 4 transcription error.

See: https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-crimes-federal-state-4/blackmail-636434.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">