• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer or do it ourself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoandJa'smom

What is the name of your state? TX

My DH and I are about to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and are wondering if we can do it by ourself w/one of those online kits you can buy. Anyone have any experience w/online bankruptcy kits? Or should we just get a lawyer and get it done?

JoandJa'smom

Ladynred

You can do it yourself, but unless your case is a simple no-asset case, you may not want to. It is by no means easy and you must be prepared to handle a LOT of legal work all on your own.

A word of caution.. some of these on-line BK services are being deemed as promoting bankruptcy fraud by the Justice Dept these days (they oversee the Trustees), so it may not be such a wise idea. Most of them won't be able to answer questions either.

If you must do it yourself, download the forms for FREE from the UScourts web site, then go buy the Nolo Press book "How to File for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy". Even if you use a lawyer.. buy the book its an excellent source.

B

binghamv

file it yourself?

make double sure to dot your I's and cross your T's, but it can be done.

W

wthargrove

Thanks for your posting... I am filing for Chapter 7 also, not being able to afford an attorney, I am filing it all myself. I am also from TX.

I have a lot of questions, and get lost in legalese so that I have a hard time figuring what goes where. I found, purchased and downloaded the Nolo Press book "How to file for Chapter 7" after seeing it mentioned here. A LOT of things are clearer now. Thanks again and good luck with your filing.

J

JoandJa'smom

How much do Bankruptcy lawyer's cost? ANyone know? Do some do pay out plans. I mean, they have to know you don't have money when you come to them so why would they charge a huge fee,LOL.

JoandJa'smom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">