• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer/or just a notary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am going on a trip without my 2 kids ( minors) and want to make sure they are ok if something happens to me and hubby!

Do I make out my own letter, or do I have to buy a form for that?

Is it just a power of attorny that I need, or something else?

With this form, do I need a lawyer, or just to notarize it?

Any thanks ahead of time !!!!!!!!


Senior Member
Depends. Is your estate planning in place? Does someone have a medical power of authority to make medical decsions for you both if need be?

If all your estate planning is in place, then you need to make sure someone has legal authority in both of your absenses to deal with any medical emergancies for your kids as well. You should NOT draft this yourself.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential