• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer says can't make it on Trial Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Caljamscott

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm in REAL trouble now! You all remember me; I got two bogus tickets from a lying Bronx cop for Reckless Driving and Passing Steady Red when I wasn't even driving so I couldn't be reckelss and I couldn't be passing any Steady Red either. Early morning. no one else around, I was standing perfectly still at a traffic light, the light turns green, I go through the light, get immediately pulled over by the corrupt policeman and issued two pink summonses, for Criminal Court.

How could I be driving reckless if I'm standing perfectly still under an elevated train station? What was I doing, popping wheelies with my Lincoln Towncar or something? Engaging in a Speed Contest? I wasn't even moving!

When I went to court the first time, they offered me a Disorderly Conduct charge and a fine of $150.00 to which my jaw dropped because I didn't do anything in the first place.

Anyway the "trial" I guess this time is set for September 20, 2005. I just called the attorney who was going to represent me to confirm but now he says he probably can't make it on the 20th. He was charging me $250.00 to appear which I would gladly have paid. Now I just spoke to another attorney from attorneyfind I think it's called and I think he said it would be $3000.00 to appear for me. I certainly don't have that kind of money. I didn't do anything in the first place!

The scary thing is that this second attorney says it's not the first time he's seen a lying cop in the Bronx. I've been thorugh this before in Traffic Court and my experience tells me that if the cop is lying out there in the street he's going to lie at trial, too. No witnesses for me, early in the morning, this lying cop is just out of control to bring about a bogus frame-up like this to an innocent motorist. My only "offense" was being the only one on the road so early in the morning, around 3:30AM.

I'm a professional driver with a just-received, State issued totally clean abstract going back for years.

My question is when I appear in court on the 20th can I tell the judge that the attorney I originally hired can't make it and request more time to hire a private attorney? I even have the original attorney's business card stapled to the notice to appear. Also do I need more time from now until September 20th to hire a private attorney? Or should I just take my bad chances and go with the Public Defender?

Thank you Mr. Lying Bronx Cop for causing me all this uncalled for and unjustified GRIEF. I could understand if I did something, ANY little thing but you are just out of control. I'm sure a formal complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board from me isn't that far out of the realm of possibility for you.

You Are Guilty

Have your $250 attorney prepare an "Affidavit of Engagement", bring it with you to court on the 20th and request an adjournment.

C

Caljamscott

You Are Guilty said:
Have your $250 attorney prepare an "Affidavit of Engagement", bring it with you to court on the 20th and request an adjournment.
Yes, that's a great idea. However I'm on the verge of hiring another attorney I found at the attorneypages.com. Ok, he's charging me a bit more, $750.00 for 3 hours of time, but what does that mean when I'm about to lose my livelihood? For no good reason whatosever too?

Any thoughts?

"A lawyer's time is his stock in trade"-Abraham Lincoln

**** whine, whine, whine**** everybody else's fault..... I do no wrong. Damn corrupt cops, willing to risk their house and life, just to give those innocent folks a ticket.........

Caljamscott said:
Yes, that's a great idea. However I'm on the verge of hiring another attorney I found at the attorneypages.com. Ok, he's charging me a bit more, $750.00 for 3 hours of time, but what does that mean when I'm about to lose my livelihood? For no good reason whatosever too?
Any thoughts?
Sounds like you are doing the best that's available, short of getting Johnnie Cochran. Would be a public service if in your own case you could obtain info about the record of the cop involved. If he is as sorry a bum as you have suggested, there would likely be a few complaints about him and consequent doubt cast in the mind of a judge. A driver with a good record vs. a cop with a bad one makes the two of you almost equal in the court setting.

C

Caljamscott

poppakeith said:
Sounds like you are doing the best that's available, short of getting Johnnie Cochran. Would be a public service if in your own case you could obtain info about the record of the cop involved. If he is as sorry a bum as you have suggested, there would likely be a few complaints about him and consequent doubt cast in the mind of a judge. A driver with a good record vs. a cop with a bad one makes the two of you almost equal in the court setting.
That's a very good help to me, poppakeith. Do you think there's time to do that from until September 20th? This is another thing I'll discuss with my lawyer I'm about to retain. I've said previously I'm sure this corrupt cop must have a pattern of this type of professional misconduct going on. If he did this to me, and I'm certainly not bummish looking, there's a good chance he's pulling this crap on other ppl also.

You know a lot of cops commit suicide. Perhaps he's heading in that direction...misery loves company. Either that or he just wants to make himself, the lieutenant and the captain look better on the Sheet. That seems likethe more logical explanation to me. I really can't devote my time and my energies to what goes on in a person's like this mind.

I could understand if there were one little thing, ANY little thing that justified me getting these two tickets I could live with that. But there isn't a single iota of anything I did "wrong," other than being the only one on that particular road at 3:30 AM. I'm a professional driver, I have to be out there.

Let's review this again: How can anyone receive two concurrent summonses for Reckless Driving and Passing A Steady Red at the same time? That point in ITSELF really doesn't make any sense, does it? Does this make sense to anyone here to get two tickets like these at once? Because that point alone certainly doesn't make any sense to me.

BUT I've learned in the past that if these guys lie out in the street with this, they're gonna lie just the same in a courtroom with the same exact spew. Except this time I'm coming in with a retained lawyer and my stakes have NEVER been this high with these kind of dangerous and bogus accusations being lodged against me.

Thank you all for your advice.

Oh, another thing. I have got major press here from something I did in the 70s. This further proves that I have a worldwide reputation for honesty and integrity. Fame I have a lot of, money I have none. Thank you all for your concern, help and advice in this inane matter I've been railroaded into.

C

Caljamscott

Is it a common occurence that a lawyer backs out of appearing on behalf of a client? How often does this take place?

Pugilist

I suppose if you really want to find out about that cop, you could put a small ad in several of the local daily papers, asking anyone who's had dealings with him to contact you. Maybe in the "personals." Be careful of course to remember that at least one of those people contacting you will be the cop, under an alias, or one of his buddies. Because of that possibility, you will want to refrain from saying any (even remotely) negative things about him over the phone to these strangers who will be calling you. Just "stick to the facts, m'am." Ask those people to give you their case number, and what courthouse it was in. Then go to the courthouse and have a look at the file.

So, even though you have only 10 days til your court appearance, you could get an ad in Monday's paper and have info by that night.

Pug

C

Caljamscott

Pugilist said:
I suppose if you really want to find out about that cop, you could put a small ad in several of the local daily papers, asking anyone who's had dealings with him to contact you. Maybe in the "personals." Be careful of course to remember that at least one of those people contacting you will be the cop, under an alias, or one of his buddies. Because of that possibility, you will want to refrain from saying any (even remotely) negative things about him over the phone to these strangers who will be calling you. Just "stick to the facts, m'am." Ask those people to give you their case number, and what courthouse it was in. Then go to the courthouse and have a look at the file.

So, even though you have only 10 days til your court appearance, you could get an ad in Monday's paper and have info by that night.

Pug
Thank you Pug. I would love to do that, but can you believe I don't even know his NAME? When I remitted the two bogus summonses I neglected to make copies of the two unjustified documents. I don't even have his name.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

This is "caljamscott"

Caljamscott said:
Thank you Pug. I would love to do that, but can you believe I don't even know his NAME? When I remitted the two bogus summonses I neglected to make copies of the two unjustified documents. I don't even have his name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: (AP) Ontario, CA: Police Arrest Man at Ontario Museum

(AP) 28 January 2001 - Sheriff's deputies were called to the Ontario Museum of History and Art Monday, after a mentally ill man refused to leave until his collection of radio tapes were put on display. Officials say Scott A. Lifshine of New York entered the museum around 1 o'clock, carrying a shopping bag full of reel-to-reel tapes and video cassettes. Lifshine, 42, claimed to be the only person on earth in possession of recordings of the momentous "California Jam" concert, that took place at the Ontario Motor Speedway in the 1970's. When told that his tapes were not rare, or relevant to the museum's exhibits, Lifshine became angry and refused to leave.
Deputy Ronald Juerst described Lifshine as a man with "several mental illnesses," who has a history of confrontations in public places in New York. Records show Lifshine was evaluated following an arrest in 1981. He is described as a "paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur." He told sheriff’s department interviewers that he is the "greatest rock star and movie star in the world," and that he "controls all Internet newsgroups." Newsgroups are bulletin boards available online which cover thousands of topics. Lifshine carried an I.D. card that lists his home address as a halfway house for the mentally ill in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Lifshine was released to his wife Monday afternoon, who noted that he had not taken his medication for three days -- a factor which may have led to his outburst. No one was hurt during the incident.
Source: http://www.collectingbanter.com/printthread.php?t=232

C

Caljamscott

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: (AP) Ontario, CA: Police Arrest Man at Ontario Museum

(AP) 28 January 2001 - Sheriff's deputies were called to the Ontario Museum of History and Art Monday, after a mentally ill man refused to leave until his collection of radio tapes were put on display. Officials say Scott A. Lifshine of New York entered the museum around 1 o'clock, carrying a shopping bag full of reel-to-reel tapes and video cassettes. Lifshine, 42, claimed to be the only person on earth in possession of recordings of the momentous "California Jam" concert, that took place at the Ontario Motor Speedway in the 1970's. When told that his tapes were not rare, or relevant to the museum's exhibits, Lifshine became angry and refused to leave.
Deputy Ronald Juerst described Lifshine as a man with "several mental illnesses," who has a history of confrontations in public places in New York. Records show Lifshine was evaluated following an arrest in 1981. He is described as a "paranoid schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur." He told sheriff’s department interviewers that he is the "greatest rock star and movie star in the world," and that he "controls all Internet newsgroups." Newsgroups are bulletin boards available online which cover thousands of topics. Lifshine carried an I.D. card that lists his home address as a halfway house for the mentally ill in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Lifshine was released to his wife Monday afternoon, who noted that he had not taken his medication for three days -- a factor which may have led to his outburst. No one was hurt during the incident.
Source: http://www.collectingbanter.com/printthread.php?t=232
Does anyone know what this FOOL "IAAL" is mumbling on about? And why is he rambling on about it anyway :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">