• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer seeking alias execution on discharged debt/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I had a Chapt 7 bankruptcy discharged 3 years ago. One of the listed creditors is still pursuing the debt. I told his lawyer that it was a discharged debt. Yesterday I received a plaintiff's motion for alias execution. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

bigun

Why is that? I thought a discharged debt is a discharged debt. What is an alias execution?
I have no idea what an alias execution is.
But, once your bk is discharged, the automatic stay morphs into a permanent injunction against any collection activity. Your lawyer can file a motion to reopen your bk for the purpose of sanctioning the creditor. It's likely they will be the ones writing you a check .

bobru

I like the sound of that! I was recently laid off, however, so I can't afford a lawyer. I'll have to figure out how to write the motion myself. Any tips on where to find a template on the internet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">