• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer to handle civil case against thief on contingency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cara.M

in Georgia

Asking for my elderly neighbor, who has been a victim of financial theft and kind of identity theft and who KNOWS the criminal, but who isn't getting a fast or vigorous enough response from local law enforcement. She's not together enough to take a case to small claims by herself, but lives on a severely limited income (even more limited, since the theft) - so I was wondering if it's ever possible to find a civil attorney to sue someone (for more than the limit allowed by small claims - she's been ripped off for at least $30K) on contingency?

If anyone knows anyone in Cherokee County Georgia who might help a poor senior out, please let me know so I can pass the info on to her (and hope she follows through).

Just Blue

in Georgia

Asking for my elderly neighbor, who has been a victim of financial theft and kind of identity theft and who KNOWS the criminal, but who isn't getting a fast or vigorous enough response from local law enforcement. She's not together enough to take a case to small claims by herself, but lives on a severely limited income (even more limited, since the theft) - so I was wondering if it's ever possible to find a civil attorney to sue someone (for more than the limit allowed by small claims - she's been ripped off for at least $30K) on contingency?

If anyone knows anyone in Cherokee County Georgia who might help a poor senior out, please let me know so I can pass the info on to her (and hope she follows through).
Attorneys don't troll this site and members are not allowed to do referrals. Your neighbor can call her state bar association and inquire. To be honest with you, I highly doubt an attorney would handle this on contingency.

justalayman

If you review cases taken on contingency, most are people who have insurance to cover their liabilities or against people with great personal wealth. In other words, they take suits where there is a great likelihood of being able to collect on a courts judgment.

It is highly unlikely a lawyer will accept a case on contingency against a thief who is presumed to not have a bunch of money sitting in their bank account and little or no provable means to be able to pay a judgment.

Since she knows the person;

Are they independently wealthy? If not, I suggest a lawyer isn’t likely to consider working on contingency.

Just Blue

Hey!...Isn't this the OP who deleted his thread about his grandchild dumping kitty litter down the toilet?

quincy

Hey!...Isn't this the OP who deleted his thread about his grandchild dumping kitty litter down the toilet?
It's a different username if it is. The grandparent of the 3-year-old who dumped kitty litter in the toilet was named "help33."

Litigator22

in Georgia

I'll tell you what. You find the $30K, put it under lock and key and you neighbor will have lawyers queq

Litigator22

I'll tell you what to do.

First find this reputed $30K and put in under lock and key.

Then hire a dozen off-duty traffic cops to control the parade of hungry Georgia lawyers queuing up at your neighbor's front door! I would have her reject those displaying jail house tattoos. (I mean the lawyers, not the off-duty cops.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">