• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer took rent money not owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loribugs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california a lawer served a 3 day notice and said no deposits.were made when the bank has copies of depost slips with our initials. we were forced to pay 1400.00 because we dont have receipts but deposits were made what am i entitled to do legally

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california a lawer served a 3 day notice and said no deposits.were made when the bank has copies of depost slips with our initials. we were forced to pay 1400.00 because we dont have receipts but deposits were made what am i entitled to do legally
How do you know that the bank has copies of the deposit slips with your initials? If those deposit slips exist, and can be matched to YOUR rent payments, how can you prove YOU made those deposits and not the LL?

IF you can prove that YOU paid those rent payments, then you can demand a refund of the overpayment or ask that it be applied to NEXT month's rent (get it in writing, along with a receipt from the LL if you do this).

Why on earth are you making direct deposits to the LL's account instead of using your own check or money order, or just giving them cash and having THEM (the LL) issue you a receipt? You are just leaving yourself vulnerable if you continue to pay the way you have - because, as you can see, you have no way of proving that you paid even though you claim you have. I would suggest that you do it this way next time and for the remainder of your tenancy in order to protect yourself from something like this happening again in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">