• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer won't deliver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cookingkettle

The lawyer in Tennesse who was supposed to handle my son's divorce, has not fulfilled his obligations. The legal paperwork was originally filled out incorrectly, with my son's minor child's name being in the spaces where my son's name should have appeared. This was corected but apparently the paperwork has become lost and no divorce has occurred.

His fee was $2,500.00 which was promptly remitted as soon as the sum was agreed to in July. My son, accompanied by his Mom and myself, made the trip from Tucson to Knoxville for his requisite court appearance and returned to Tucson. The divorce should have been final in 45 days and notifcation mailed to my son. After two months with no contact from the circuit court in Knoxville, my son called them and found that there was no record of a divorce. As of the day before yesterday, the court still has no record of a divorce.

When we contacted the lawyer's office his secretary said it was a glitch and would be corrected, but nothing has changed. We have made numerous attempts to get a response from this man to avail. He refuses to do anything to correct the situation.

Who do I go to to get him to do what he shoud? There must be a state agency that deals with this.

Thank you for any help.

HomeGuru

File 2 complaints:
1) TN State Chapter of the American Bar Association
2) State Office of Disciplinary Counsel or whatever the office is called in you State that regulates licensed attorneys.
I can not stand incompetent attorneys like that. To add fuel to the fire, he will not even communicate with you to tell you what's going on. The least he can do is pick the telephone and say "sorry, I have been busy working on a big case, I had a death in the family, I met this really cute chick and, I am addicted to cocaine, I was abducted by aliens and therefore out of town for awhile...........

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Also, did you know that if this lawyer's client has suffered some sort of legal detriment (missed deadlines, judgments etc) because of this attorney's malpractice, the client can collect money!!!!!!! For that, you would need another attorney! : - )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">