• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyers lying about settlements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Imbatman

AZ. I have contacted a company that was illegally telemarketing me, to advise them of my intent to take legal action. A lawyer contacted me, claiming to represent them, and offered a settlement. I agreed, and he never contacted me again. Several weeks later, another lawyer contacted me, claiming the first lawyer was not actually representing the company and told me to deal with him only. Again, he offered me a settlement. He claimed he would send me a release form to sign, and then I would gget said settlement. And again, I have not heard back from him at the time we agreed I would have the release form. What is going on Here, and is this ethical behavior from lawyers?

quincy

AZ. I have contacted a company that was illegally telemarketing me, to advise them of my intent to take legal action. A lawyer contacted me, claiming to represent them, and offered a settlement. I agreed, and he never contacted me again. Several weeks later, another lawyer contacted me, claiming the first lawyer was not actually representing the company and told me to deal with him only. Again, he offered me a settlement. He claimed he would send me a release form to sign, and then I would gget said settlement. And again, I have not heard back from him at the time we agreed I would have the release form. What is going on Here, and is this ethical behavior from lawyers?
How do you know you have been speaking with attorneys?

If you have a complaint about a company, you can report the company to your state's Attorney General and the consumer protection division, and you can go ahead and file suit if you want to.

Imbatman

I have researched their names.

I have researched their names, and their emails include their practice's letterhead and disclaimer. I have also spoke to one on the phone, through his practice's switchboard.

quincy

I have researched their names, and their emails include their practice's letterhead and disclaimer. I have also spoke to one on the phone, through his practice's switchboard.
I can only guess at why the attorneys you spoke to offered to settle your telemarketing complaint and have not followed through by sending you a settlement letter and release. Without knowing the whys, it is impossible to say if the attorneys have acted unethically.

Are you on the National Do Not Call Registry? Did you inform the callers of this fact?

If the telemarketers violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and you want to file a complaint with the FTC, you can use the following link: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.

If you want to sue over violations of the TCPA (47 USC 227), you can sue for $500 per violation (or potentially for triple the damages).

If a settlement is not forthcoming, and you have a legitimate claim, you can file suit and see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">