• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lay off against labor contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homie

I was recently laid off from a very large aerospace company in Florida. We have a union contract with the company and I held the office of shop steward. A section of the contract states: In case of layoff and for the sole purpose of maintaining union representation at time of layoff, shop stewards shall, during their term of office, head the seniority list in their occupational group and seniority area, in their steward area, and on their respective shift, and will not be laid off until all other employees in their labor grade (or lower labor grades), in their occupational group and seniority area, in their steward area, and on their shift have been laid off. This is word for word as well as puncuation. The company seems to interpret it with periods rather than commas. Grammar is not the basis for the intended meaning. One criteria for myself remained, I still had a large steward area remaining to represent. What is your opinion.

B

buddy2bear

As a shop steward, you are supposed to have "super seniority." If you were the president, vice president, even financial secretary, you would not have super seniority -- crazy isn't it! There is a specific case which addresses this, but I don't have it handy right now.

I would suggest that you contact your International and have them find out what is happening. If they are no help, then call the National Labor Relations Board and see if you can file an unfair labor practice against the Company and, possibly, your Union also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">