• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

layed off or fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MMiC

I was recently let go from my job in New York, after 7 years of good service. The reason given was that my job had been eliminated, but I have reason to believe that the real reasons were more personal. Nine days after leaving, the employer offered my job (which wasn't supposed to exist any longer) to a freelancer who had previously reported to me. They offered him the position hours after I had faxed an agreement (which I had to sign to collect my severence package), which stated that I would never sue the employer for any reason.
Do I have any grounds to sue?

ALawyer

This may have been illegal age or sex discrimination, and if that is the case you may have grounds to void the release you gave them. Ask a NY State licensed employment attorney on AttorneyPages.com.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">