• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaky window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynwink

I signed a lease to begining Nov1 last week in good faith (not writing-stupid I know) that some drywall, paint and some other renovations/ repairs be finished by Nov 1. But the drywall and paint surrounding the bedroom window was not finished by Nov1. Worse I have found that the window where the drywall was done leaks when it rains. The lesors told me that the drywall and paint cannot be finised until the window has been looked at by someone and then fixed. I can live there, but if it rains before they fix it the window will leak. Eventually they must fix the wall surrounding the window as they promise. I am going to fill out the move-in list of all problems and damages as they stand at move-in. I'm not sure what else to do. I am upset that I am paying full rent for an apartment that was not finished upon the start of the lease as the lesors said it would be. I just don't want to live in a place with a leaky window and rough drywall for months in the winter never knowing when they will get to it. Promises mean nothing eventhough the lesors seem honest. How can I get it in writing? Can I withhold rent for those days or at least bind them to fix it by a certain date from which I will withhold rent until it is fixed? I live in Michigan. At this point what are my rights and options? Does anyone know where I can find Michigan Landlord/tenat laws?

HomeGuru

All the answers to your questions can be found in the State Statutes. Go to the State Resources link on this website.

L

lynwink

leaky window cont.

Looked at the website still confused. Can 1)I withhold some or all of rent until window fixed maybe with a contract binding the landlord to fix the window by a certain date? Or must I just wait and hope. I could find no information regarding a landlords responsiblity to repair pre-existing problems reported on move-in.

L

lynwink

leaky window cont. cont.

I'm not a laywer. Need ADVICE. All I could find was legalese on deposits, etc. NOTHING that shed any light on my problem. If it is there I could not find it. That's why I'm asking questions here at Freeadvice.com.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">