• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease break due to move out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have to move out of state on a new job as the present job ended where I live. What are the terms of lease break in that case in CA? Are we still liable to pay the lease break amount along with the advance 30 day notice?

Gail in Georgia

Senior Member
What is the length of your lease?

If you are on a month to month tenancy, you need give only 30 days written notice that you are vacating the rental.

If on a year lease, simply giving a 30 day notice would not negate your financial responsibilities for either the remaining months of the lease or until your landlord can find a suitable tenant to take your place. The fact you have to move out of state for a new job does not negate your financial responsibilities for a yearly lease.


Hot Topic

Senior Member
Review the lease regarding early termination. You can break some by forfeiting your security deposit, others by paying two month's rent.

If the landlord is amenable, you can try to find someone to take over the lease. The person would, of course, have to "pass muster" with the landlord. Otherwise, plan on paying the rent unti a new tenant is found. The landlord isn't obligated to rush his selection to save you having to pay rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential