• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease escape clause?? - moving for new job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scottp21

When I asked my lease office what the penalty was for terminating a lease early to move after accpeting a new job, they informed me I was responsible for making payments until the end of the lease. I renewed for another year back in July. They told me the only way I wouldn't be responsible for the payments was if I could find someone to sub-lease my apartment and take over my payments until my lease expires. Is there any way out of this?? I can afford to make 1-2 more payments, but I can't afford to keep paying rent on 2 places until July. Is there any possible way out of this lease??

L

LL

I don't know anything about Michigan law.

Check your lease for a clause stating that you are required to pay rent until the end unless you sublease. If there is some such clause, look for a subtenant.

In general, a LL is required to try to mitigate his loss. This requirement follows from a general principle of law, rather than a specific local law. It means that the LL should look for another tenant to replace you for the remainder of the lease.

Check your lease, also send a letter to LL with your notice that you are leaving, ask them to try to find a replacement tenant to fill your place. Pay attention to their response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">