• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TCool

What is the name of your state? WI

My ex-gf decided she wanted to move out and decided not to pay rent. Now because of the situation the landlords are getting sick of going after her for the money, so what they say they are going to do now is take her off the lease and make me responsible for all the rent. I don't want this, because my ex signed a year lease and promised me she would help pay all the bills so I could get through school. Do I have a say in whether or not they remove her from the lease? There is only one month left on the lease, but I want her held responsible for what she promised to pay.

AdamWe

You have both signed the lease so either one of you can be held liable for the full rent. My advice is to pay the last months rent and then sue your ex for the money she owes you after the lease is ended.

What doesn't make sense is that your landlord wants to take your ex off the lease since it limits his options of who he can go after. Also your landlord can't just take her off the lease without the written consent of all parties which include you and your ex. I would wait and see what he does, keep a copy of the original lease and see if he makes any changes without you or your ex permission. If he makes the changes he would be breaking the law.

Alaska landlord

It doesn't matter if they keep her on or of the lease. The effect is still the same. The message the landlord wanted you to understand is that they are holding you liable for the lease and damages to the apartment once you vacate. There is nothing you can do but sue your ex for damages should you occur any.

AdamWe

You have both signed the lease so either one of you can be held liable for the full rent. My advice is to pay the last months rent and then sue your ex for the money she owes you after the lease is ended.
Is there an echo in here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">