• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Mistake - Which wording prevails

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drtate

What is the name of your state? California

Getting ready to give notice that I will not renew lease and I noticed a mistake on the lease. In 5 places it indicates that I will stay for a period of 5 months, for a dollar amount equal to the monthly rent times 5. That period would end October 31. But I notice it also says December as the ending period. Which wording prevails? Landlord is not a person you can talk to about anything. If landlord insists I stay the extra two months, since I will have already paid the AMOUNT stated in the lease, can I stay the extra two months for free?

C

CA. Landlady

It appears your lease will end after five months and the "December" is a mistake of fact.

Rest assured they likely will not allow you to live there for free.

BTW, ending December 31 or 1? Also, did you move in during the first month or on exactly the 1st of the five month lease?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">