• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease problem-arziona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ronss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

i have been renting from the same apartment complex for 15 yrs, and its affortable housing by the city of phoenix...my lease is up in july, and i went to sign the needed papers for the new lease...i am 65, and have been looking into senior citizen apartments...i asked the manager while i was filling out paperwork, that i wanted to go month to month on rent because i wanted to get into senior citizne apartments when one came available.....the problem i have now,,and its a new one, is that they no longer offer month to month...only 6 or 12 month leases....this is not right, how am i suppose to transfer into senior citizen housing without a month to month payment....its like i am in jail where i am now living....

Gail in Georgia

While it may not be "right" in your eyes, it may be perfectly legal that a complex does not wish to offer "tenancy at will" leases (i.e., month to month leases) UNLESS the program you are under in the city of Phoenix requires that a complex offers this option.

Tenancy at will leases can leave a landlord/management short of applicants during times where it may be difficult to find new tenants (for example, during winter months when folks may not wish to move during the holidays).

One option you might wish to discuss with the manager is if you sign, say, a six month lease and a senior citizen apartment becomes available before the end of your lease, would you be allowed to sublet or find a suitable replacement for you so you would longer owe rent on your current apartment.

Gail

DeenaCA

Breaking a lease isn't a criminal offense, but the tenant can generally be held liable for lost rent, damages, and any advertising costs. It may be a little easier in low-income housing if there is a waiting list for the apartments (and there often is, especially in urban areas). If there is a waiting list the landlord will not incur "lost rent" (since people are lined up waiting to move into the unit) and will not have to advertise the vacancy. For example, public housing tenants routinely move out before the end of a 12-month lease term, and if there is a waiting list, the housing provider is limited to charging for damages exceeding normal wear and tear. This differs from private-market housing.

OP, do you know what kind of affordable housing you live in now? Both traditional public housing and city-owned affordable units are administered by the City of Phoenix. And what kind of senior citizen housing are you interested in? For example, public housing, tax credit, etc.

ronss

Breaking a lease isn't a criminal offense, but the tenant can generally be held liable for lost rent, damages, and any advertising costs. It may be a little easier in low-income housing if there is a waiting list for the apartments (and there often is, especially in urban areas). If there is a waiting list the landlord will not incur "lost rent" (since people are lined up waiting to move into the unit) and will not have to advertise the vacancy. For example, public housing tenants routinely move out before the end of a 12-month lease term, and if there is a waiting list, the housing provider is limited to charging for damages exceeding normal wear and tear. This differs from private-market housing.

OP, do you know what kind of affordable housing you live in now? Both traditional public housing and city-owned affordable units are administered by the City of Phoenix. And what kind of senior citizen housing are you interested in? For example, public housing, tax credit, etc.
not sure what kind of housing, i was under the impression it was just affortable apartments by the city of phoenix. the conditions are credit check, income check, no felonys. i quess i will have to chat with the manager a bit more about this..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">