• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease renewal being denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhenryblum

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

For two years I have reported, asked, and complained to the property management company, various things that have either needed to be repaired, cleaned, or just maintained... with little or no results. Last February/March a different management company took over the property, "promising" to make repairs, clean up and maintain the property.

In April, I received a lease renewal form (to begin Sept 1, 2005 to Aug 31, 2006), I signed it and dropped it off at the office. In short, most of the concerns that I have had, still have, have not been resolved. I have withheld paying rent, even telling the current manager that I am looking forward to going to court... to date, I have not been summons to court for non-payment of rent, or eviction.

I have become so frustrated with the lack of repairs, cleaning and overall maintenance that on the 10th of August, 2005 I mailed a certified letter to the apartment complex and delivered a copy to the city building inspector. I learned (from the inspector) that the property is/has been in violation of local building & housing codes, and that the management company has been made aware of, and violations. On the 17th of August, 2005 I was given a letter from the complex, saying that because of my payment history, my lease will not be renewed.

Any information/help is greatly appreciated.

longneck

if the leasing company never delivered an executed copy of your lease, then you are now a month-to-month renter. they do not have to renew your lease. there is nothing you can do to force them to renew your lease.

HomeGuru

rhenryblum said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

For two years I have reported, asked, and complained to the property management company, various things that have either needed to be repaired, cleaned, or just maintained... with little or no results. Last February/March a different management company took over the property, "promising" to make repairs, clean up and maintain the property.

In April, I received a lease renewal form (to begin Sept 1, 2005 to Aug 31, 2006), I signed it and dropped it off at the office. In short, most of the concerns that I have had, still have, have not been resolved. I have withheld paying rent, even telling the current manager that I am looking forward to going to court... to date, I have not been summons to court for non-payment of rent, or eviction.

I have become so frustrated with the lack of repairs, cleaning and overall maintenance that on the 10th of August, 2005 I mailed a certified letter to the apartment complex and delivered a copy to the city building inspector. I learned (from the inspector) that the property is/has been in violation of local building & housing codes, and that the management company has been made aware of, and violations. On the 17th of August, 2005 I was given a letter from the complex, saying that because of my payment history, my lease will not be renewed.

Any information/help is greatly appreciated.

**A: this could go either way. If you followed the L/T law and such law allowed withholding of rent for those reasons stated, then you could claim a retaliation eviction. If you did not follow the law, then their lease non-renewal reason is justified for withholding rent and poor payment history.
If you are under a current fixed lease which expires in August 2005, you have just been given notice that you must vacate on Aug 31 2005.
If you have a copy of the signed lease until 2006, that is your evidence.

rhenryblum

The management company is very unprofessional in all matters of business and has not returned a copy of lease renewal agreement that I signed in April. As well, they gave another lease renewal form to me, the beginning of this month... 4 days before I contacted the building inspector... I have a copy of it, and it states that if they do not receive a signed copy of the form, then residency continues on a month to month basis.

There are other residents who have had, or are currently having trouble with the management company with lease renewals... are they also in jeopardy of being told the same, even if they are current with rent?

south

Looks like you managed to complain your way out of your home, they are not required to renew your lease and as a month to month tenant they can give notice to you to leave.

Why would you want to stay in such a terrible builiding anyway?

rhenryblum said:
The management company is very unprofessional in all matters of business and has not returned a copy of lease renewal agreement that I signed in April. As well, they gave another lease renewal form to me, the beginning of this month... 4 days before I contacted the building inspector... I have a copy of it, and it states that if they do not receive a signed copy of the form, then residency continues on a month to month basis.

There are other residents who have had, or are currently having trouble with the management company with lease renewals... are they also in jeopardy of being told the same, even if they are current with rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">