• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease/Sub-Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MPuthoff

I live in Ohio, I have a new roommate and I'm trying to decide what to do about the lease.

My name is the only one on the lease at this time. It has been this way for at least the last year, year and a half. Before there were 2 names on the lease (that roommate moved out and her name was taken off). I've been with this complex since '96.

I had a problem with my last roommate moving out without 30 days notice. She wasn't on the lease and there was nothing signed saying that she had to give me 30 days notice. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson.

I was going to add this roommate to the lease, but in the last few weeks, I've begun to have second thoughts about her living here. I want to talk with her, see if things can be worked out, but I want to protect myself in case things go south.

I've talked to the landlords. I am in good standing with them and I don't need another person on the lease (my lease expires in Sept '01 and I probably will renew for another 13 months, like this year). Even if she puts in the paperwork to have her name on the lease, I have to sign off on it, so I have the "final" say, so to speak.

Is there a generic sub-lease form that I could use with my new roommate, basically saying that she has to give me 30 days notice and that if I decide that this isn't going to work out, I give her 30 days notice to leave. I checked the forms here on FreeAdvice but I didn't see anything that looked like it would work.

Thank you in advance for any help.

M

MPuthoff

So you are saying to use the same form I signed with the landlords, except that I use myself as the landlord and the roommate as the leasor?

Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

Yes except your tenant would be called a tenant or subtenant. This tenant would never be called a lessor but rather a lessee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">