• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leased car stolen and crashed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jskcbe

What is the name of your state? Virginia

hi I leased a vehicle in 2016 and lease is going to end in 2019 December.
I gave this car to my wife and she went to indiana. But the car was stolen few months ago and someone crashed it onta a tree and it was towed by a wrecker service. Finally we found that by some online means. When we called the insurance they said there is no Full Coverage on it, so they cannot accept the claim. Car dealership advised me to go with liability insurance and thry never forced me to take Full Coverage.. The car lease finance people also refused to file the claim. But they marked my account as chargeoff and on my credit file this became derogatory. Car finance said the collection will call me but they never called.. so I called them, everytime agents say different things, so they asked me now to return the car. So I gave them the address of the Wrecker service. Its almost 3 months now, so don’t know if the wrecker service guy will give the car to nissan without that storage Fee. Now what will the nissan will charge me? Because I was ready to keep paying monthly and own the car after dec2019 and still paying monthly. But finance guys did not accept and they said it will go to collections but collection people never called me, so I have called the finance.

adjusterjack

All I can suggest is that you start putting aside some cash and just wait and see who comes after you for what.

Jskcbe

You were leasing from Nissan and there was not a requirement for full insurance? I doubt that very seriously.
I think the sales guy who helped me was not aware or he was new. So he is the one called and got me this insurance from elephant.. since I was pretty new to US I did not do full research on types of insurance between lease and buying. I was in a hurry to get a car, since my credit history was less other dealership didn’t approve my loan and also I don’t want to pay a lot in monthly payment. Even this was 386$ plus insurance 100$

Jskcbe

I think the sales guy who helped me was not aware or he was new. So he is the one called and got me this insurance from elephant.. since I was pretty new to US I did not do full research on types of insurance between lease and buying. I was in a hurry to get a car, since my credit history was less other dealership didn’t approve my loan and also I don’t want to pay a lot in monthly payment. Even this was 386$ plus insurance 100$
And I never had any issues in Virginia.. all this happened when my wife took the car to indiana..

PayrollHRGuy

What the sales guy said or did at the time of the sale has little to nothing to do with the issue. The lease contract you signed required the proper insurance coverage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I doubt the wrecker company is going to let the car loose w/o getting paid. I doubt the leasing company will eat the money they're owed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">