• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LEASING OFFICE IS HOLDING MY MAIL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariane10178

I'm located in OHIO and I always pick up my packages from my leasing office with my rent being late. My leasing office knows that I pay late every month including all late fees because the way my checks are set up. Today I went to pick up my packages and they told me that they will not release my packages until my rent is paid in full. I contacted corporate and I asked them are they allowed to hold my packages and they said they didn't know and gave me an email address to ask somebody else. Maybe 5 minutes later they called me and said we are deciding to release your packages. Was that legal?.

quincy

I'm located in OHIO and I always pick up my packages from my leasing office with my rent being late. My leasing office knows that I pay late every month including all late fees because the way my checks are set up. Today I went to pick up my packages and they told me that they will not release my packages until my rent is paid in full. I contacted corporate and I asked them are they allowed to hold my packages and they said they didn't know and gave me an email address to ask somebody else. Maybe 5 minutes later they called me and said we are deciding to release your packages. Was that legal?.
Legal? Probably not. What sort of “leasing office” is this? Are you speaking about an apartment rental?

The package deliveries presumably have nothing to do with your failure to make lease payments on time so the leasing office cannot legally keep you from collecting your packages.

ariane10178

Legal? Probably not. What sort of “leasing office” is this? Are you speaking about an apartment rental?

The package deliveries presumably have nothing to do with your failure to make lease payments on time so the leasing office cannot legally keep you from collecting your packages.

I FIGURED! yes I live in an apartment rental the post office delivers our packages to the leasing office if we are not home.

quincy

I FIGURED! yes I live in an apartment rental the post office delivers our packages to the leasing office if we are not home.
It is a good thing that the leasing office decided to release your packages.

If you are paying your rent late on a regular basis, I suspect you will not have your lease renewed. Or, worse case, you could face eviction. You might want to start searching for a new place to live.

LdiJ

Of course it wasn't legal (or at least not appropriate) for them to hold your packages, that is why when you brought it to corporate's attention they quickly reversed their policy. Do you have any viable action against them? No, you do not because they quickly reversed their policy. What you had was a local manager who got creative, and got spanked by corporate.

STEPHAN

My leasing office knows that I pay late every month including all late fees because the way my checks are set up.
Get a written agreement on your payment date and next time make sure you only sign a lease that you can pay for in the agreed time. Or start paying on time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">