• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving an abusive situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmf315

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My husband and I have three daughters ages 14, 11 & 9. He has a drinking problem and is drunk and passed out by 6 pm several nights each week. He has hit me twice, but usually just yells and calls me names. He spanks our children, I do not. He also calls them names and controls every aspect of everyone's life. Recently he has become more violent with the oldest daughter. He hit her, pushed her down and they ended up throwing things at each other until I broke it up. Then, a week later, he was mad (and drunk) when he came home from work and wanted to argue with her (I was at work). She tried to walk away and he pulled her hair, yanking her to the ground.

I am trying to get everything in order to leave, but I am terrified as he threatens that I will never see the children again and that he will get full custody (I realize that is not likely, just adding that to give you an idea of his mindset). This past weekend, he threatened a "fight to the death" and that the children and I have a "world of hurt coming". I realize Wisconsin is usually 50/50 but I am concerned for my children's safety in his care. What is the possibility of getting supervised visitation? What steps do I need to take to protect myself and my children. Is it possible that I might get full placement?

Silverplum

My husband and I have three daughters ages 14, 11 & 9. He has a drinking problem and is drunk and passed out by 6 pm several nights each week. He has hit me twice, but usually just yells and calls me names. He spanks our children, I do not. He also calls them names and controls every aspect of everyone's life. Recently he has become more violent with the oldest daughter. He hit her, pushed her down and they ended up throwing things at each other until I broke it up. Then, a week later, he was mad (and drunk) when he came home from work and wanted to argue with her (I was at work). She tried to walk away and he pulled her hair, yanking her to the ground.

I am trying to get everything in order to leave, but I am terrified as he threatens that I will never see the children again and that he will get full custody (I realize that is not likely, just adding that to give you an idea of his mindset). This past weekend, he threatened a "fight to the death" and that the children and I have a "world of hurt coming". I realize Wisconsin is usually 50/50 but I am concerned for my children's safety in his care. What is the possibility of getting supervised visitation? What steps do I need to take to protect myself and my children. Is it possible that I might get full placement?
Please get immediate help:

http://endabusewi.org/gethelp

http://abuseintervention.org/help/help-overview/

Now, today, NOW, PLEASE.

single317dad

In order to restrict Dad's visitation you'll likely need something provable. Claims of "he/she does such and such" are quite common in family court, and won't help you much.

Also, up and leaving the marital home may not be in your best interest. You need professional help. Please seek a consultation with an attorney. Please do not take any advice you receive from women's shelters, support groups, or counselors over the advice you receive from your attorney. While well-meaning and usually helpful, people in those positions are notorious for not really understanding the legal ramifications of the advice they give.

This is not advice that you shouldn't seek help and support; this is just a plea to get an attorney and listen to him/her above all others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">