• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the scene of an accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alhan2

Kentucky? My son side swiped a car and then left, he stopped after a few minutes and waited for the police. No one was hurt. What sort of punishment could he get?

justalayman

What do you mean he stopped and waited for the police? Is he still there waiting?

Did he call them or did they simply discover him as the responded to a call from the car’s owner?

Has he been issued any tickets or given notice of his charges if he was arrested?

Leaving the scene of an accident is a class A misdemeanor. Penalties possible are up to 365 days in jail and a maximum fine of $500. Of course there are court costs and liability for the damages caused as well to consider.

Alhan2

He was with someone who after the incident told him to keep going as he had a warrant. My son drove down a street and stopped. The passenger jumped out and ran. The guy my son hit pulled up behind aND then the police came. He has an arraignment next monday

justalayman

So it isn’t even a matter of your son reported the accident. That won’t look good for him. It shows his intent was to escape responsibility for his actions.

He needs a lawyer. He should speak only to his lawyer, and that includes not speaking to you about it. You can be called as a witness against your son.

LdiJ

So it isn’t even a matter of your son reported the accident. That won’t look good for him. It shows his intent was to escape responsibility for his actions.

He needs a lawyer. He should speak only to his lawyer, and that includes not speaking to you about it. You can be called as a witness against your son.
I agree, but he did not keep running, and that matters.

LdiJ

I doubt it will mean very much. He only stopped to let an individual wanted by the police escape. He needs an attorney.
But he could have kept going and did not. It takes a couple of seconds to let someone out of the car and keep going. I agree that he was an idiot to keep going to let his friend out, but he could have kept going and did not.

Just Blue

Kentucky? My son side swiped a car and then left, he stopped after a few minutes and waited for the police. No one was hurt. What sort of punishment could he get?
You have a question mark behind KY. Are you unsure of the state? :rolleyes:

justalayman

But he could have kept going and did not. It takes a couple of seconds to let someone out of the car and keep going. I agree that he was an idiot to keep going to let his friend out, but he could have kept going and did not.
He initially ran. He didn’t contact the police. He left the scene of an accident. His actions are all thst is required fulfill the requirements of the law

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">