• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left Home Alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thompsoncorey

What is the name of your state? I live in Iowa and my 8 year old wa left unattended for an hour by his father...what can i do and what is the laws regarding this, thank you.

Jeter

You've got to be kidding. I think I had a job when I was 8. Cut the crap. Yell at your husband and move on with your life.

Jeter

J

joyfulgirl71

I agree with jeter - I have a nine and 12 year old and thinking back to when I was their age - I was babysitting my 3 and 5 year old sisters when I was 9.

If it's that big of a deal - talk to your ex and let him know that this is not something that you approve of while the child is in his care and remind him that he is their to spend time with the child - time he will not get back. Don't yell and don't act like your 8 year old, because in the end the only person who gets hurt by your fighting is your child.

Beth3

Sorry to disagree but eight year olds shouldn't be left alone or unsupervised. Not only can they get into dangerous mischief (got a book of matches somewhere in the house?) but how many reports on national TV have we heard about in the past two weeks about kidnapped and murdered children of approxmately the same age?

Thompson, call your State's department of social services and inquire about your State's laws in this regard.

T

thompsoncorey

thank you Beth, the other two posters children must be the ones vandalizing our area.

tigger22472

I think first we should know what time of day it was and how responsible the child is. I have an 8 year old that I will leave with his 11 year old brother for a few hours without concern during the day. If it was early morning and the child was sleeping most of the time that's not a big deal either in my book. Some say my 11 year old is too young to stay home with his brother alone but he's a very responsible 11 year old.

kidoday

8 year olds do not need to be left alone. The key word here is "alone".

What happens if this 8 year old is hurt and can not call 911. If left with an older sibling, cousin, friend, at least there should be someone left to call for help.

Contact your local CPS for advice and make sure it is followed.

Perhaps informing your child to contact you when left alone, either you can pick up your child, or find someone to go over there while dad is away. I know this is a sticky situation, but better safe than to be sorry.

Good Luck!

J

joyfulgirl71

True - times have changed and I personally would not leave my 8 year old alone for 15 minutes, let alone an hour. However, most 8 year olds should know 911, their address, their phone number and their other parent's number if they are in a custody situation. If not, I would seriously begin to teach them it ASAP.

kat1963

>snip<What happens if this 8 year old is hurt and can not call 911

Kidoday, what happens if a 39 year old gets hurt and can not call 911? If I lock and load in the woods and no one hears me but the ex dies..does that count too? Now, do I have to order you to bed? *LOL* You are really stressed ..we might need drastic measures...like a week long spa treatment eh??? E-mail me, let's talk. I drive a Jeep too.

Thomsoncorey, do a search of your state laws/statue/cps intervention (family law), what have you. Some have laws about this, others do not...or not really. In some cases it depends on the maturity of the child...some go by age. Of course you'll need proof. Personally, I don't think I'd let my 8 year old alone in the house for more then....well an hour TOPS (and he'd have to SIT RIGHT there and NOT MOVE, or ANSWER THE DOOR, OR PHONE, OR even go to the boys room for that matter, did I mention move from the couch? ) ....I know my neighbors leave their 7 year old for 2 hours before they get home from work (latch key kids and all).

Regards All!

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">