• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action against university for research misconduct and bullying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Not open for further replies.


New member
I am an ex-employee of one of the top universities in the UK. A few months ago, I raised an official complaint against three senior members of staff for research misconduct and harassment. I have a very strong evidence so the university was obliged to open an official investigation. Since then the university purposefully delayed the investigation and broke its own guidelines and those of the UKRI.

I want to take a legal action against the university, but I do not know what type of law this will go under and what type of law firms I need to get in touch with. Any help will be very appreciated.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
See a solicitor.
For you colonials that's British for an attorney :)
That's close but not quite correct. The term lawyer or attorney is used in the UK, too, as a general term applying to both solicitors and barristers. But unlike the U.S., the practice of law in the UK is divided into solicitors and barristers. Traditionally the distinction was that solicitors provided legal advice, drafted legal documents for clients and did the initial preparation work in litigation cases but could not make the actual appearances in court. The barristers, on the other hand, exclusively appeared in court. (The barrister is easily recognizable in court because, like the judges, they wear wigs and robes in court.) The barrister system is quite different from that in the U.S. Notably barristers are not generally hired directly by a client, but rather through a solicitor. Also, barristers are attached to chambers and take the cases assigned them through the chambers. They cannot refuse cases given them like attorneys in the U.S. may do. Today it is my understanding that solicitors may appear in some of the lesser courts.

The U.S. adopted a system in which the role of solicitor and barrister were combined; for that reason the terms solicitors and barristers no longer are used here and instead the more generalized terms of lawyer or attorney at law are used. The reason for that was that the U.S. is much more spread out than the UK, and establishing chambers for barristers would have been difficult for the more rural areas. As a by product of that combination, the US ditched the English tradition of lawyers wearing wigs and robes in court, for which I am very grateful. I prefer my suits instead.
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential