• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal age for contract in AL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emcgadney

What is the name of your state? AL
Is is legal for an 18 year old to purchase a car in AL. I thought that the person has to be 19. Used car dealer would not sell car to my sibling because she was 18 then called her back on another day after he saw how desperate she was. He's got her in $10000 car worth $5000 and she pays $75 a week. Is this legal?

Happy Trails

emcgadney said:
What is the name of your state? AL
Is is legal for an 18 year old to purchase a car in AL. I thought that the person has to be 19. Used car dealer would not sell car to my sibling because she was 18 then called her back on another day after he saw how desperate she was. He's got her in $10000 car worth $5000 and she pays $75 a week. Is this legal?
Unless the 18 year old is emancipated or married or the parents gave consent, the contract can be canceled by the minor.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/agec/courses/agec4070/chapter3.PDF

Age of majority designated as 19 years.
(a) Any person in this state, at the arrival at the age of 19 years, shall be relieved of his disabilities of minority and thereafter shall have the same legal rights and abilities as persons over 21 years of age. No law of this state shall discriminate for or against any person between and including the ages of 19 and 21 years solely on the basis of age.

(b) This section shall also apply to any person who arrived at the age of 19 and 20 years before July 22, 1975, but shall not abrogate any defense or abridge any remedy available to him prior to such date.

(c) All laws or parts of laws which read "under the age of 21 years" hereafter shall read "under the age of 19 years." Wherever the words "under the age of 21 years" appear in any law limiting the legal rights and abilities of persons under such age, such words shall be construed to mean under the age of 19 years.

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (c) of this section, nothing in this section shall be deemed to repeal any provision of Chapter 19 of Title 15 of this Code.

Section 7-3-305
Defenses and claims in recoupment.

(a) Except as stated in subsection (b), the right to enforce the obligation of a party to pay an instrument is subject to the following:

(1) A defense of the obligor based on (i) infancy of the obligor to the extent it is a defense to a simple contract, (ii) duress, lack of legal capacity, or illegality of the transaction which, under other law, nullifies the obligation of the obligor, (iii) fraud that induced the obligor to sign the instrument with neither knowledge nor reasonable opportunity to learn of its character or its essential terms, or (iv) discharge of the obligor in insolvency proceedings;

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">