• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal age for my son to leave his great grandmothers house and live with me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? mississippi........ my childrens great grandmother got temporary custody of them and has i guess legally kidnapped them! my son is 14 and we want to know if he is of legal age in mississippi to leave her house and come to live with me his father! thank you!


Senior Member
When he is 18. Nothing can change a court order but a court order. You’ll have to take it to court. Yes, he is 14 and will probably be able to voice his opinion to the judge, and yes, at his age it will probably carry a lot of weight. However, it’s up to the individual judges who makes the final ruling in the best interest of the child and after considering all the circumstances in the case….not, necessarily just what the minor wants.
Bottom line, you'll need to file for custody modification.
Good Luck!


if the law has not changed in Miss when I was 14 I could drive in Miss. So you might look in the law forum for Miss and see what age they can make their on dicision. You should file for custody with a lawyer since you are the bio dad. Most states will give custody to the bio parents if it is in the best intrest of the children. Can you give the children a home and inviroment that is in their best intrest?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential