• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal aid for special needs child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sorry. This is going to be a long and bumpy ride.

So my brother is nine years old and severely disabled. He has a diagnosis of septo-optic dysplasia, but he also has significant issues with nutrition and digestion. He is non-verbal, fed primarily through a feeding tube, and requires behavioral medication. He is very time- and resource-intensive, and my mother also has three other children living in the house. I am living in a different state and trying to help her remotely.

My mother shares custody of the child with his father. They got divorced a few years ago due to severe emotional abuse, among other things. He is very controlling and manipulative, which will be important later on. Their custody agreement is arranged so that my mother carries the bulk of caring for the child, but they share legal and medical custody over him. We are aware that this is a poor custody arrangement - my mother was excessively agreeable due to the desperation of leaving an abusive marriage, and ending a situation where none of us felt safe. With the current agreement, his care of the child is minimal - he uses a large chunk of the child's allotted care for respite (trained workers take the child for games/developmental play for a few hours). He does not attend doctor's appointments or care meetings.

However, despite no actual involvement, he routinely interferes with my mother's attempts to care for the child. Because they have shared custody, the child's doctors and care teams cannot proceed with any treatment if he objects to it - and he does, almost every time. He has called doctors, therapists and the child's care managers to object to treatment, and those doctors and therapists have in turn informed my mother that they cannot proceed with care. He was, at one point, scheduled for an inpatient program to be observed so that a care plan could be formulated for him - but the father called and objected, and so the inpatient appointment was cancelled. He also objects to changes in medication and things like that. A respite worker for the child made an unfounded CPS report at his direction - he told her to call and told her what to say, resulting in a CPS investigation that yielded no signs of neglect or abuse, and traumatized all four of their children together. We do not disclose information about the child's care to him, so we're not sure how he figures out who to call and object to - but we suspect that the child's care managers disclose the information to him when my mother notifies them for insurance purposes. My mother was also recently notified by the child's care managers that they are no longer allowed to speak to her unless he allows it - I'm not sure how this is legal or possible, but there's that. He is very manipulative, as I said. There are no other companies in the area that can manage the child's care, and our objections to the company itself have gone intentionally ignored - we have no grounds to complain, I don't think, because they share custody.

Given that the father's interest in actually caring for the child is minimal, we believe that he is doing this as a means of control over my mother - because lack of care for the child means my mother devotes all of her time and energy to caring for him, and has no time to pursue other interests or move on with her life.

We understand that a renegotiation of the custody agreement is needed, but my mother is not financially able to hire a lawyer and take him back to court. I am not in a position to fund a lawyer, either. My mother also relies on the father's taking of the children to get basically everything else done - household cleaning, working, etc., and she is afraid of losing those days. He will definitely threaten to take them away once we take him back to court, because he knows she relies on them as well.

My question is: is there any kind of legal assistance for families in this kind of situation? Any kind of legal action short of a custody renegotiation we can take? ANY kind of advocacy programs, legal assistance or subsidizing programs, anything? I am willing to hear any and all options. My entire family continues to suffer because of this man's continued interference, and something has to be done. I am open to any and all possibilities. Thank you - I know this is a lot to unpack.

Just Blue

So my brother is nine years old and severely disabled. He has a diagnosis of septo-optic dysplasia, but he also has significant issues with nutrition and digestion. He is non-verbal, fed primarily through a feeding tube, and requires behavioral medication. He is very time- and resource-intensive, and my mother also has three other children living in the house. I am living in a different state and trying to help her remotely.

My mother shares custody of the child with his father. They got divorced a few years ago due to severe emotional abuse, among other things. He is very controlling and manipulative, which will be important later on. Their custody agreement is arranged so that my mother carries the bulk of caring for the child, but they share legal and medical custody over him. We are aware that this is a poor custody arrangement - my mother was excessively agreeable due to the desperation of leaving an abusive marriage, and ending a situation where none of us felt safe. With the current agreement, his care of the child is minimal - he uses a large chunk of the child's allotted care for respite (trained workers take the child for games/developmental play for a few hours). He does not attend doctor's appointments or care meetings.

However, despite no actual involvement, he routinely interferes with my mother's attempts to care for the child. Because they have shared custody, the child's doctors and care teams cannot proceed with any treatment if he objects to it - and he does, almost every time. He has called doctors, therapists and the child's care managers to object to treatment, and those doctors and therapists have in turn informed my mother that they cannot proceed with care. He was, at one point, scheduled for an inpatient program to be observed so that a care plan could be formulated for him - but the father called and objected, and so the inpatient appointment was cancelled. He also objects to changes in medication and things like that. A respite worker for the child made an unfounded CPS report at his direction - he told her to call and told her what to say, resulting in a CPS investigation that yielded no signs of neglect or abuse, and traumatized all four of their children together. We do not disclose information about the child's care to him, so we're not sure how he figures out who to call and object to - but we suspect that the child's care managers disclose the information to him when my mother notifies them for insurance purposes. My mother was also recently notified by the child's care managers that they are no longer allowed to speak to her unless he allows it - I'm not sure how this is legal or possible, but there's that. He is very manipulative, as I said. There are no other companies in the area that can manage the child's care, and our objections to the company itself have gone intentionally ignored - we have no grounds to complain, I don't think, because they share custody.

Given that the father's interest in actually caring for the child is minimal, we believe that he is doing this as a means of control over my mother - because lack of care for the child means my mother devotes all of her time and energy to caring for him, and has no time to pursue other interests or move on with her life.

We understand that a renegotiation of the custody agreement is needed, but my mother is not financially able to hire a lawyer and take him back to court. I am not in a position to fund a lawyer, either. My mother also relies on the father's taking of the children to get basically everything else done - household cleaning, working, etc., and she is afraid of losing those days. He will definitely threaten to take them away once we take him back to court, because he knows she relies on them as well.

My question is: is there any kind of legal assistance for families in this kind of situation? Any kind of legal action short of a custody renegotiation we can take? ANY kind of advocacy programs, legal assistance or subsidizing programs, anything? I am willing to hear any and all options. My entire family continues to suffer because of this man's continued interference, and something has to be done. I am open to any and all possibilities. Thank you - I know this is a lot to unpack.
What state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but there is really no "we" in this matter. Not only are not involved from a legal perspective, you are far removed from a geographical perspective. It appears that the child's father is exercising his rights as he sees fit, and his viewpoints do not necessarily align with those of the mother of the child. At no point in your post did you indicate that the father's viewpoints are harmful to the child.

LdiJ

I'm sorry, but there is really no "we" in this matter. Not only are not involved from a legal perspective, you are far removed from a geographical perspective. It appears that the child's father is exercising his rights as he sees fit, and his viewpoints do not necessarily align with those of the mother of the child. At no point in your post did you indicate that the father's viewpoints are harmful to the child.
Then I think that you need to read it again.

LdiJ

"Renegotiation" is the wrong term to use here. What your mother wants is to be given sole decision making for medical issues. The father will never agree to that, so what your mother needs is to file for a modification giving her sole medical decision making and let the judge make the decision based on the best interest's of the child. Unfortunately, if the father is as manipulative as you make him out to be, then your mother is going to need an attorney, and a strong one, to get anything done.

An abuser will do a lot to keep control of their victim. What you are describing is pretty classic.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry - which part do I need to read again?

This?
So my brother is nine years old and severely disabled.
Or this?
I am living in a different state and trying to help her remotely.
Or maybe this?
My mother shares custody of the child with his father.
Or maybe I need to read how the father gets professional assistance for his child when the child is in his care?
...he uses a large chunk of the child's allotted care for respite (trained workers take the child for games/developmental play for a few hours).
You might have meant this:
He does not attend doctor's appointments or care meetings.
Until you realize that the mother (and, apparently, the OP) are conspiring to withhold information about the child from the father:
We do not disclose information about the child's care to him, so we're not sure how he figures out who to call and object to
Of course, now sister is complaining about the role that mom chose to take on and simply chooses to accuse dad of some perceived ulterior motive:
Shall I go on?

t74

I expect mom may be too overwhelmed with caring for the disabled child and other children to post to a forum.

I know that judges sometimes give one parent sole decision making for medical care and/or education when the parents cannot agree. If your mother participates in any programs for the parents of disabled children, other participants may be able to refer her to an attorney with experiencs and interest in issues of the disabled for a consultation.

It needs to be considered that a different placement for the child might result in more appropriate treatment. It should be a concern that beneficial treatment is being denied due to the inability of the parents to agree,

LdiJ

I expect mom may be too overwhelmed with caring for the disabled child and other children to post to a forum.

I know that judges sometimes give one parent sole decision making for medical care and/or education when the parents cannot agree. If your mother participates in any programs for the parents of disabled children, other participants may be able to refer her to an attorney with experiencs and interest in issues of the disabled for a consultation.

It needs to be considered that a different placement for the child might result in more appropriate treatment. It should be a concern that beneficial treatment is being denied due to the inability of the parents to agree,
This time you and I completely agree.

t74

Dear Lord! I think I hear a Heavenly Choir singing!!
It is all about what is best for the child. My heart aches for this family - or any family with a special needs child. Obtaining appropriate services is difficult enough when all are on the same page. I would not know who to suggest to OP as a resource given the sibling's disabilities. I hope someone more familiar with the state or situation can suggest both a legal resource and a state agency to assist. It sounds like there are services being provided already so there would seem to be a good chance of accessing what is needed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
We do not disclose information about the child's care to him, so we're not sure how he figures out who to call and object to - but we suspect that the child's care managers disclose the information to him when my mother notifies them for insurance purposes. My mother was also recently notified by the child's care managers that they are no longer allowed to speak to her unless he allows it - I'm not sure how this is legal or possible, but there's that. He is very manipulative, as I said.
Given the bolded, I am not certain Dad will be taken to task for the italicized.

commentator

That, of course, would be the first and most important question, as many states are nicer, many are less nice in the number and scope of programs that they have.

What I am not seeing here is any change in circumstances that would precipitate a valid request for a change in custody arrangements. And of course, who knows? When one actually spoke with the directly involved parties, things might sound a whole lot different than it does when strained through a sheet of what mother is telling the daughter who lives somewhere else. Therefore I am going to try to reserve judgment.

If this child's medical providers, doctors, social workers, etc. are not standing on the sidelines actively encouraging and advising the mother that she needs to contact this or that agency, that she needs to see this or that happen, that the care of the patient is compromised by this or that that the father is doing and this is how we are going to try to change it.......then I doubt if the free Legal services, whatever state they are in, is going to have any interest in....let's see, is there something like, just send the money, don't question what Mom is doing?

That this child's doctors are so easily corrupted and willing to take their orders from a distance about a child they are in direct care for, oh come on! Do you really thing this bad Dad could corrupt and bully doctors if they felt that the child's care would in any way be compromised by their not doing something he objected to?

The whole idea of the father being so well money-ed and so persuasive that he can get the care providers to (1) file a CPS complaint against the mother and (2) refuse to speak to the mother while they are treating the child is VERY far fetched. Most care providers in this type of situation do it at least to a small extent because they enjoy doing it, and care about people with severe disabilities, (else they don't do it long) and that they are all so corruptible and easily bought off by the dad is a very strange sign to me.

I doubt that we can get within a thousand miles of this one without a whole lot more information. And I do not see, do not think of a way that an attorney could approach it with the limited information that we have here. Frankly I'm not seeing where a change of custody is necessary or would be beneficial, but perhaps someone closer could. What exactly does/do this mother and daughter want to happen?

OP, why can you not help your mother from a distance by sending her to speak with an attorney you might help her pay for? Or going with her to speak to the free Legal services in her area?

Last edited:
Reactions: t74

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">