• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Aid in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BklynMama

What is the name of your state? NY

My questions are regarding the availability and quality of Legal Aid services in NYC. I am about ready to leave my daughter's father, taking her with me. I have already been threatened that if I leave a long legal battle will ensue, so I need to be prepared for this.

The problem with preparedness is that I have no money to spend on lawyers. I have to take a loan off of my pension to move us out, set up an apartment, and pay off my car so my insurance will become manageable. I am a teacher, so I've got a steady income, just not very much left over at the end of a bill cycle. I've also recently claimed bankruptcy, so I'm a cash-only business.

I don't know much about family law - I just know that this environment is unhealthy for all involved. Would someone like me qualify for legal aid, or is there another way to find representation at a (very) low cost?

Thanks.

LdiJ

BklynMama said:
What is the name of your state? NY

My questions are regarding the availability and quality of Legal Aid services in NYC. I am about ready to leave my daughter's father, taking her with me. I have already been threatened that if I leave a long legal battle will ensue, so I need to be prepared for this.

The problem with preparedness is that I have no money to spend on lawyers. I have to take a loan off of my pension to move us out, set up an apartment, and pay off my car so my insurance will become manageable. I am a teacher, so I've got a steady income, just not very much left over at the end of a bill cycle. I've also recently claimed bankruptcy, so I'm a cash-only business.

I don't know much about family law - I just know that this environment is unhealthy for all involved. Would someone like me qualify for legal aid, or is there another way to find representation at a (very) low cost?

Thanks.
Odds are that your teaching salary would be enough to disqualify you for legal aid.

Do you have any family in the area that you could stay with for a few months in order to allow you to build up some more cash? Or do you have enough in your retirement fund to cover both moving out AND paying for an attorney?

And about paying off your car so that you no longer have to carry full coverage....think about something. If you slip on icy roads this winter and seriously damage your car, enough that its not drivable, will you be glad or sorry that you don't have full coverage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">