• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal aid question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rejected

I am a defender in a criminal matter and currently unemployed. I am 28, living with my parents and now I have applied for legal aid. Can I still apply for legal aid even though my parents are working fulltime?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1: US law only
2: You should check with the local legal aid folks about your specific situation, as the answer likely depends on factors beyond the information you have given.

adjusterjack

I am a defender in a criminal matter and currently unemployed. I am 28, living with my parents and now I have applied for legal aid. Can I still apply for legal aid even though my parents are working fulltime?
You obviously CAN apply because you HAVE applied.

Your own words:

I have applied for legal aid.

quincy

Criminal defamation?

What is the name of your state? Defamation laws vary in significant ways from state to state.

When you apply for free or low cost legal assistance, the application asks you to disclose all sources of income and financial support and assets. You will be eligible for a public defender or free or low cost assistance from a clinic if you qualify under the terms set out by the state or the organization where you apply.

RJR

Quincy, that is criminal DEFENDER.

Rejected, you mean you are the accused/defendant from a government criminal charge?

quincy

Quincy, that is criminal DEFENDER.

Rejected, you mean you are the accused/defendant from a government criminal charge?
I read the thread, RJR. It was clear to me what was written.

Because rejected is speaking of a criminal charge and the thread was placed in the defamation section of the forum, this is an indication that rejected does not reside in the U.S.

Please let rejected provide his state name, or country name if rejected is not in the U.S.

We can go from there.

quincy

Oh, sorry Q, did not notice the Header.
Posters often post in the wrong section of the forum but, when there is little else provided, it can sometimes help to read the forum category.

With defamation, the state name is important.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Because rejected is speaking of a criminal charge and the thread was placed in the defamation section of the forum, this is an indication that rejected does not reside in the U.S.
That caught my attention, too. While there are a few states that still have criminal defamation laws, they are very, very rarely prosecuted. By and large defamation is not a criminal matter in the U.S.

quincy

That caught my attention, too. While there are a few states that still have criminal defamation laws, they are very, very rarely prosecuted. By and large defamation is not a criminal matter in the U.S.
Right. The criminal defamation laws in the U.S. were repealed in most states as unconstitutional and, in the handful of states that still have criminal defamation laws, they are either not used or have been radically amended.

In other parts of the world, the punishments for criminal defamation can be harsh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">