• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal binding contracts in pencil?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I can't seem to find much information on the subject of legal contracts signed in pencil. Does anyone know if a contract signed in pencil is legal binding? I am seeing both yes and no on internet sites.

tranquility

A contract is an agreement. There are many ways to prove agreements. Some contracts require a writing under certain statutes. Even for those contract which must be in writing to be enforced, there is no rule requiring the form of the writing. Pencil is perfectly OK unless there is some specific statute requiring a certain type of writing.

While more facts would be useful, generally, an agreement memorialized in pencil, or crayon or feces is as good as one written in ink.

racer72

From a contract law class I took, what makes a contract legal is can the document be reproduced, either by photocopy or by fascimile. A contract signed in pencil yes, a contract signed with disappearing ink, light colored ink or reflective inks, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">