• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal citation for brief-help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ldkuhns

What is the name of your state? PA

In the next few weeks, I will be preparing a brief to be used at an exceptions hearing for support. I have my case law, but I dont understand how to cite them. Does anyone know of anywhere I can go that explains this so that I may cite my case law correctly? What I need is a down to earch explanation. Hopefully some of you legal people out there can help.

Thanks!!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? PA

In the next few weeks, I will be preparing a brief to be used at an exceptions hearing for support. I have my case law, but I dont understand how to cite them. Does anyone know of anywhere I can go that explains this so that I may cite my case law correctly? What I need is a down to earch explanation. Hopefully some of you legal people out there can help.

Thanks!!!
Most case law has lots of citations to other case law in it. Use those citations as examples of how to cite the case that you are using.

ldkuhns

I understand what you are saying. I am confused about exactly how to site them though. For example: Rebert v. Rebert, 757 A.2d 981, 983 (Pa. Super 2000)(citations omitted).
So I am trying to break each step down so that I understand where these other numbers come from : 757 is the Superior Court Case No., A.2d is the Atlantic 2d, what are the numbers following those, are they paragraph numbers? When are you allowed to use the citations omitted statement? And there is "Id" and "supra" , I believe when you are referencing the case for before or after in another paragraph for another argument? If you could confirm or guide me, that would be great.

Thanks so much.

garrula lingua

I understand what you are saying. I am confused about exactly how to site them though. For example: Rebert v. Rebert, 757 A.2d 981, 983 (Pa. Super 2000)(citations omitted).
So I am trying to break each step down so that I understand where these other numbers come from : 757 is the Superior Court Case No., A.2d is the Atlantic 2d, what are the numbers following those, are they paragraph numbers? When are you allowed to use the citations omitted statement? And there is "Id" and "supra" , I believe when you are referencing the case for before or after in another paragraph for another argument? If you could confirm or guide me, that would be great.

Thanks so much.
In your example, 757 refers to the volume, page 981 is where the case begins, and page 983 is the specific page you are citing to (aka pinpoint cite).

I'm sorry - I'm out of home for about nine hours, otherwise I'd locate a website which explained citations.
Try googling 'legal citations' or 'bluebook citation' or 'bluebook legal citation'.

Remember, 757 is the volume number, not the case number.

If you have further problems, PM me; I'm gone til late tonight, but I'll respond.

Bear in mind, if you're representing yourself, the Judge will probably cut you some slack regarding the form (even if s/he says they won't).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">