• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal contract for a Business's reimbersement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenn1900

What is the name of your state? Florida

A business is trying to make me sign a legal contract that prevents me from posting any negative reviews about them online in order to get a refund for services that were not met. There is NO contract between us. I do not have the money to hire a lawyer to review it, but they will not issue a refund unless I don't. Is this standard practice?

Last edited:

Just Blue

A business is trying to make me sign a legal contract that prevents me from posting any negative reviews about them online in order to get a refund for services that were not met. There is NO contract between us. I do not have the money to hire a lawyer to review it, but they will not issue a refund unless I don't. Is this standard practice?
How much is the refund for? What type of service wasn't met?

quincy

What do you mean by "there is no contract between us?"

Did this business offer you services that were not met and for which you are now seeking a refund?

Nondisparagement clauses can be enforceable as part of a settlement agreement but are fast becoming unpopular in consumer contracts. Courts have found these clauses an illegal restraint on speech.

Here is a link to a press release issued last month on the actions now being taken by the FTC to enforce consumer rights to express honest (non-defamatory) opinions:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2019/05/ftc-announces-first-actions-exclusively-enforcing-consumer-review

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">