• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Document

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nancbabe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Is a driver's licensc considered a legal document? I need to show proof of name change from when my dad opened a insurance policy, he passed away a short while ago, and the policy has my old married name on it, not my current name. This is for the state of Connecticut.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For this purpose, I would be very surprised if a drivers license would be considered acceptable proof. If I were the insurance company, I'd hold out for a copy of your marriage license/divorce decree.

justalayman

while a DL is a legal document for identification purposes, I suspect you will also be required to prove that you are the same person as yourself prior to using your post marriage name.

In other words, documentation of the name change along with the license will likely be required. How else will they know you, with your current name, is the same person as the you with your married name?

Betty

The life ins. co. I worked for required the completion of a change
of name form which was dated & signed. They also had to submit 2
pieces of evidence of the old & new name. Some of the things we would
accept were marriage cert., divorce decree, SS card, driver's license &
court order.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">